Patching inner tubes

2»

Comments

• giant man wrote:
    Good god, just replace with a new one. Life's too short for mucking about with patches imo.

By the same logic, why ride a bike when you can drive a car? Throwing away inner tubes is mindless destruction, and completely unnecessary. It doesn't even take very long.
  • ForumNewbie
    ForumNewbie Posts: 1,664
    giant man wrote:
    Good god, just replace with a new one. Life's too short for mucking about with patches imo.

By the same logic, why ride a bike when you can drive a car? Throwing away inner tubes is mindless destruction, and completely unnecessary. It doesn't even take very long.
    Mindless destruction is a bit over the top Simon. If people are prepared to patch tubes and it works, good for them. If you get a lot of punctures, I can understand why you would want to patch them to save money, but I can also understand people wanting just to replace with a new tube, especially if they are lucky enough not to get many punctures.
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    giant man wrote:

Modern throwaway society encapsulated.
  • marcusjb wrote:
    giant man wrote:

Ooh! another opportunity to present inner tube recycling ideas :D

Here's one........
    http://www.instructables.com/id/inner-tube-gimp-mask/all/?lang=de
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • nathancom
    nathancom Posts: 1,567
    I don't fix inner tubes, it is dirty work. I get my daughter to do it instead for 20p pocket money and she gets an extra 20p if she cleans my bike and regreases the chain.
  • giant man wrote:

Mindless destruction is a bit over the top Simon. If people are prepared to patch tubes and it works, good for them. If you get a lot of punctures, I can understand why you would want to patch them to save money, but I can also understand people wanting just to replace with a new tube, especially if they are lucky enough not to get many punctures.

Throwing away an inner tube because you're too lazy to fix it is pathetically lazy. 'Mindless destruction' is perfect. Maybe a bit mild. Just another example of disposable culture.

But as for patching being for people who puncture all the time, a good many punctures are down to user error. If you are puncturing constantly, you probably either have unsuitable tyres or you are failing to remove embedded sharps (either immediately after a puncture or before it digs through the Kevlar to puncture a few weeks later), or fail to appreciate that using sensible tyres doesn't absolve you of responsibility to avoid riding over broken bottles and road cravasses.

I get that there are some horrible road surfaces out there, but even if you have to commute on leaden Marathon Pluses, it's possible to keep punctures to a reasonable minimum. And when you do fix them, it's hardly a difficult job. Throwing tubes away because you're too lazy to fix them is inexcusable. Give it to someone who has some semblance of responsibility.
  • giant man wrote:

Throwing away an inner tube because you're too lazy to fix it is pathetically lazy. 'Mindless destruction' is perfect. Maybe a bit mild. Just another example of disposable culture.

But as for patching being for people who puncture all the time, a good many punctures are down to user error. If you are puncturing constantly, you probably either have unsuitable tyres or you are failing to remove embedded sharps (either immediately after a puncture or before it digs through the Kevlar to puncture a few weeks later), or fail to appreciate that using sensible tyres doesn't absolve you of responsibility to avoid riding over broken bottles and road cravasses.

I get that there are some horrible road surfaces out there, but even if you have to commute on leaden Marathon Pluses, it's possible to keep punctures to a reasonable minimum. And when you do fix them, it's hardly a difficult job. Throwing tubes away because you're too lazy to fix them is inexcusable. Give it to someone who has some semblance of responsibility.

But the patches put extra weight on the worst possible place. Also they throw the wheel out of balance :)
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    But the patches put extra weight on the worst possible place. Also they throw the wheel out of balance :)

You couldn't be more wrong. The wheel is already imperfectly balanced. I patch my tubes even when they aren't punctured just to perfect the balance! :lol:

And yes, people who don't patch tubes are wasteful oiks.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • balthazar
    balthazar Posts: 1,565

Not if you only ride over sharp things opposite the valve.
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    nathancom wrote:
    I don't fix inner tubes, it is dirty work. I get my daughter to do it instead for 20p pocket money and she gets an extra 20p if she cleans my bike and regreases the chain.

Can I post up a job lot at that rate?

Still - could be worse and more wasteful than throwing perfectly good inner tubes:

viewtopic.php?f=40013&t=12963029&p=18795066#p18794777
  • Rolf F wrote:

You couldn't be more wrong. The wheel is already imperfectly balanced. I patch my tubes even when they aren't punctured just to perfect the balance! :lol:

And yes, people who don't patch tubes are wasteful oiks.

I have mine perfectly balanced at ATS Tyres :D
  • ForumNewbie
    giant man wrote:

Thankfully I don't get many punctures, but when I had one last week I tried a pre-glued patch, but as I said at the start of this thread, it didn't work. So I used a new inner tube - shock, horror! I had been carrying around the spare tube for ages, so why shouldn't I use it if I want to/need to - that's what it's for. I am not a wasteful person, and don't spend as much on cycling gear and components as a lot of people.
  • Don't use self-adhesive patches then. 'I'm not wasteful except for...' is no excuse. It takes a few minutes to patch a tube, and all you need is a bog standard repair kit. Kids can do it.
  • ForumNewbie
    Don't use self-adhesive patches then. 'I'm not wasteful except for...' is no excuse. It takes a few minutes to patch a tube, and all you need is a bog standard repair kit. Kids can do it.
    Are you just trying to wind me up? I started this thread for a bit of advice and to find out other people's experience with patching inner tubes as it didn't work for me. Not to be talked down to or told if I throw away a tube, it's mindless destruction!
  • Don't use self-adhesive patches then. 'I'm not wasteful except for...' is no excuse. It takes a few minutes to patch a tube, and all you need is a bog standard repair kit. Kids can do it.
    Are you just trying to wind me up? I started this thread for a bit of advice and to find out other people's experience with patching inner tubes as it didn't work for me. Not to be talked down to or told if I throw away a tube, it's mindless destruction!

You should try a thread about using CO2 to pump your tyres up next :mrgreen:
  • nathancom
    nathancom Posts: 1,567
    To be honest I don't bother patching my tubes and I always use CO2 canisters unless I am at home with a track pump. I don't think it is the greatest waste in the world and I don't really trust patched inner tubes on a long ride.

That's the advice then - use good old fashioned puncture repair kits. Take your time, make sure you prepare the surface properly and let the glue dry, and you're away.
  • nathancom wrote:
    To be honest I don't bother patching my tubes and I always use CO2 canisters unless I am at home with a track pump. I don't think it is the greatest waste in the world and I don't really trust patched inner tubes on a long ride.

The patch is effectively welded to the tube. It is stronger than the rest of the tube. If you can separate patch and tube without destroying the tube, you've done it wrong.
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    marcusjb wrote:
    nathancom wrote:

Can I post up a job lot at that rate?

Still - could be worse and more wasteful than throwing perfectly good inner tubes:

viewtopic.php?f=40013&t=12963029&p=18795066#p18794777

nathancom your generosity knows no bounds...
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015

To be honest, if you can't manage to learn the skills to repair an inner tube, you must have great difficulty in standing up without falling over! Roughen the surface, apply glue, wait for it to dry, apply a bit more if you are feeling extravagent, stick patch on (middle first, then edges). If you can't do that, what can you do? Don't give up! :lol:
    I have mine perfectly balanced at ATS Tyres :D

ATS? They couldn't balance a brick on a billiard table. I get mine balanced by the McLaren F1 racing team.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    marcusjb wrote:
    giant man wrote:

Ooh! another opportunity to present inner tube recycling ideas :D

Here's one........
    http://www.instructables.com/id/inner-tube-gimp-mask/all/?lang=de

Secondary function is asphyxiation?
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,374
    Can't believe this thread is still going.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • pinno
    Moonbiker wrote:

A likeable crackpot with a bit of time on his hands.
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    ffs this thread needs to die

:whoopsie:
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • pinno
    ffs this thread needs to die

:whoopsie:

...and this one:

viewtopic.php?f=40020&t=12962489#p18787849
  • special11
    special11 Posts: 21
    I got a puncture when I was out last week, I just threw the bike away, got a cab home and went out on one of my other bikes
  • pinno
    special11 wrote:
    I got a puncture when I was out last week, I just threw the bike away, got a cab home and went out on one of my other bikes

That's the spirit.
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    special11 wrote:

Where was that?
  • jasonbrim
    jasonbrim Posts: 105
    RideOnTime wrote:
    special11 wrote:

Where was that?
    Like you need to ask. It was obviously in Surrey while he was wearing his Team Sky kit :lol: