Press fit bottom brackets

lugsey2k5
lugsey2k5 Posts: 960
edited March 2014 in MTB buying advice
Hello. My Press fit Bottom bracket on my 2013 zesty has died again and im looking to change it rather than just the bearings as usual.

I currently have KCNC cups fitted with enduro bearings and a top hat reducer to fit shimano cranks but i find the sealing to be terrible on the design and having to use top hat spacers is a pain.

Does any one have any experience or knowledge of the Hope PF41 and the tooling required to fit it?
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/hope-pf41-press-fit-bottom-bracket/rp-prod118519

Enduro also look promising with a similar set up to what i already have only with Angular Contact bearings with what i think is a smaller I/D so no need for a top hat? They also seem to have a seal over the face of the bearings.

http://www.enduroforkseals.com/id258.html

The enduro ones seem trickier to get hold of.

Does any one have any knowledge of these or other options?

Thanks

Ian

Comments

• Levi_501
    Levi_501 Posts: 1,105
    I had the Enduro Fork Seals but recently replaced it for the Hope PF41. I also bought the tool and installed it myself. With the tool you just pull it in side/part at a time with a smear of Parktools grease.

Nothing wrong with the EFS, but I preferred the design of the Hope as it pulls itself together; and it has Hope written on it!

Go for the Hope and go for ceramic bearings, they are worth the extra.
  • lugsey2k5
    How much was the tool?

How serviceable is the hope unit? I can find so little information on these. It just looks like a posh shell with some standard rubber sealed bearings in there, doesn't really look like its that well sealed.

Efs just got back to me and said i can just buy a bearing kit and keep my current shell which makes things a little cheaper.
  • lugsey2k5
    Just watched this installation video. http://mpora.com/videos/AAdhqxq3w4ug

Shows the seals a bit better. The tool just looks like a press with an adapter to thread the centre section in. How necessary is it or could i just make a press?
  • Levi_501
    I bought all mine from Winstanley.

Whilst you do not actually need the tool, it is worth buying because the tool has several different sizes press faces. I would imagine if you used thick washers and threaded bar you would just be f'ing about for ages.

Also, to do the tube up, which pulls/holds it all together you need a large Allen key, obviously part of the tool.

I would say the tool is one of those necessary evils, that as soon as you use it you are glad you bought it.
  • lugsey2k5
    Thanks for the help.
    I see what your saying. Its only the Allen key bit that really requires the tool its just a pain having to buy another type of bottom bracket tool. I think would be my 5th different type of tool. (Stupid manufacturers!)

Last question is do you know how much replacement bearings are as i cant find them via google?
  • Levi_501
    I have never bought replacement Hope BB bearings, they seem to last for ages. I have seen them on the CRC website.

I would buy the tool if I were you, you kind of really need it.
  • lugsey2k5
    Thanks for all the help.

I pressed it in with a G clamp and managed to get a Hydraulic pIpe blank from work the right size to turn in middle section so was able to avoid buying the tool to save some pennies for a much needed new chain set in the future.

Thanks again