Still looking for ideal bike...

Cycool
Cycool Posts: 51
edited March 2014 in Commuting general
Been in my LBS and tried a few: Cannondale CAAD8, Couple of Treks. Was recommended to get either Cannondale Synapse or Trek 1.1 / 1.2 in 58 frame size as CAAD8 was too long reach for me. Not keen on the Synapse or Trek 1.1 but quite like the 1.2 (lovely blue colour). Still want mudguard and pannier capability but am now more unsure than ever of what to go for. I like this: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/verenti-defense ... arter-kit/ from Wiggle. Anyone have any experience of Verenti? Any good quality? Like the Ribble winter trainer but am now worried about reach on that frame shape and it's too far for me to go and try one for size. Looking to order something next week sub £700 but it's really doing my poor brain in. It's a bike i'll be using most days to get to work and back so need the right one. Never had so much of a struggle to buy anything before now. :)
Trek 4500 Disc
Ribble 7005 Audax

Comments

• macleod113
    macleod113 Posts: 560
    i think its a bit of a punt buying a bike online. it might be perfect for you but might feel wrong and be totally unfit and then you are stuck. i'd stick to what you can get in your LBS. are there others in your area you can get to to check other brands.
    in my opinion nothing beats trying a bike in a shop and if possible taking a test ride.
    you are about to sink a lot of money on this so do take your time and make sure you are happy with what you buy. i'm a Trek fan but its personal preference at the end of the day. the next person to post might say Verenti are fantastic but you still wont know if its right fo you.
    Cube Cross 2016
    Willier GTR 2014
  • Cycool
    The Trek is nice but £750 which is a smidge over my budget. Seem to get better value online but I suppose that does come with risk. Trek 1.2 comes with Claris gears, are they good, would they be adequate for my commute or wear out quickly? I appreciate a cheaper gear set will be cheaper to replace parts but can get Tiagra setup for same price from Wiggle or Ribble. Arrghh it's all so difficult to decide.
    Trek 4500 Disc
    Ribble 7005 Audax
  • fatsmoker
    fatsmoker Posts: 585
    You've probably considered a Secteur already, but if you haven't, they do have rack mounts and clearance for mudguards.
  • Cycool
    I did look at the secteur but only available in my local Evans which I'm not keen on shopping at. They persuaded my gf to buy a Kona MTB that doesn't really suit her, its small. Not totally their fault but has put me off Evans as a reliable store. My local bike shop are going to get me a Trek 1.2 in to try and if it fits I'm going to go for it. I appreciate the not buying online advice and think its right. Plus I'm supporting a good local business which is also a good thing.
    Trek 4500 Disc
    Ribble 7005 Audax