Which wheels - Ksyrium SLS or R-SYS ....!!

chris217
chris217 Posts: 218
edited March 2014 in Road buying advice
Sorry another one !!

ok quick summary ...had some DT SWISS RR 1450 wheels, great very smooth but not stiff enough.

bought some of the new Ksyrium SLS , great very stiff and responsive, have transformed the bike ( steel Ritchey logic ) but little bit of wobble in strong winds and very stiff so slightly less forgiving.

So wanting the best of both worlds after stiffness and comfort and was still pondering the R-SYS ( can get the £1100 model for £800 ) and keen on the comfort / shock absorbtion properties of the R-SYS ( allegedly....as some people think they have a harsh ride !!?? )

i am aware i could get a handbuilt set for less and thought of this however in the meantime .....

so what are your thoughts on MAVIC R-SYS in comparison to the SLS ?

CHEERS

Comments

• cyclosteve
    cyclosteve Posts: 150
    hi Chris I've had a pair of Mavic r-sys for about 8 months now. put them on my Scott foil they are a very fast wheel climb well sprint fast. but I noticed there seems to be a lot more front wheel wobble on fast descents witch I never had when I had Mavic elites on. but would not change. ride fantastic hope this helps
  • chris217
    cheers steve, " front wheel wobble on fast descents " thats obviously not great but assume the pros outweight the cons ...

re the "ride fantastic" comment ....more conmfortable than the Elites ??? same ???
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,807
    I run a set of RSYS SLR's and can't fault them. No speed wobbles here (I like going downhill fast) and they are very very stiff...in a good way.
  • The problem I find is that they are too fast going downhill

The exalith brake track is also superb.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    Wobble? Check the bearings preload... there might be some play there... alternatively it's your imagination or the thick spokes catching side winds
    left the forum March 2023
  • cyclosteve
    cyclosteve Posts: 150
    hi there Chris 10x better than elites on comfort and speed maybe because its my best bike and am glad to be riding it but my avg is all ways higher. my trek madone has elites and does not respond as sharp on climbs .as to wobble it could be me I climb well but descend poorly
  • cadseen
    cadseen Posts: 170
    edited March 2014
    Both Great wheels, have you thought of Zipp ?
    As wiggle are doing big reductions at the momkent.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/stunning-deals-on-zipp-wheels
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    cadseen wrote:
    Both Great wheels, have you thought of Zipp ?
    As wiggle are doing big reductions at the momkent.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/stunning-deals-on-zipp-wheels

927ecdc873fa1d93

That's because they're the older model with suicidal hubs... don't buy them!

http://paolocoppo.drupalgardens.com/con ... w-finished
    left the forum March 2023
  • chris217
    cheers all or input, i

know there are some top wheelbuilders on this forum so will have a think ....

but tempted

cheers again