A test of your knowledge, as I don't have any...!

chriswim
chriswim Posts: 20
edited March 2014 in MTB buying advice
Hi all, I'm new to posting on this forum although I've been reading your threads with interest for some time now. I have a big decision to make but would really value some input from you guys before I just jump in a buy a bike because it looks nice. I am about to buy a new mountain bike on the cycle to work scheme, my genius employer has signed up to the Halfords only scheme (yes I have seen what you seem to think about Hellfrauds though out this forum, but like I say I have no choice) and there is a £1000 limit on what I can spend. I am fairly new to mountain biking, I have spent a fair amount of time riding off road but nothing too technical however something I can grow into over the coming year or two is what I am after. I live near Portsmouth so my rides will be around Queen Elizabeth Country Park trail centre, the Southdowns way (long and not to taxing) as well as blasting around the woods at Kingly Vale and up at Denmead.

Having read your threads on full sus v's hardtail and 650b Vs 29er vs 26er etc I am still a little confused around the actual bikes I have a choice of and which would be best. I have posted below the links to the bikes I am considering, perhaps you could offer me your thoughts about the most suitable. I am 5 ft 9 in tall and a bit over weight at the moment (hoping the biking will help reduce that problem as I will be out 1-2 times a week) at 90kg.

I'd love to consider other bikes but like I say not an option for this scheme. My current bike is a 2008 Giant XTC 4.5.

Some of these bikes have been discussed here before but would like to know which you would go for in my shoes please...

Boardman FS TEam
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_165499

Boardman HT Team 29er

Boardman HT team 650b

Voodoo Bizango (cheaper but good reviews 29er)

I've been and sat on them all and they all fit fine and feel like I could get used to them, so I know a lot will be personal preference. Just wondering if this FS is a good enough spec to make it better for me than one of the HT bikes listed?

Thanks in advance for your wise council :)

Comments

• You will always get better value from a hardtail. I wouldn't knock halfords having a boardman myself that has been spot on.
  • chriswim
    Thanks for the reply, I guess the FS one is too low spec to compare to the HT opes in the range? I don't want a FS unless it's going to be worthwhile.... I think I'm edging towards the HT Team 29er...
  • jimothy78
    jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
    Interesting.
    Like CDB said, forget the FS option, not only do you get a less good spec, but you also have a lot more hassle and expense keeping it running. Also, for the sort of riding you're going to be doing, a hardtail will be more than sufficient.

Personally, I'd also discount the 650b Boardman model, as it's a downgrade on spec from the 29er for the same price (you're basically paying over the odds to have the "latest thing").

It's a hard call between the two 29ers -
    * Both forks are pretty good.
    * The voodoo has more reliable brakes and (much) better tyres (these things really make a difference!)
    * The boardman has slightly more "trail-ready" and modern spec (wider bars, shorter stem, 2x10 gearing with clutch derailleur, tapered head tube - these things arguably make incremental differences...)

I must admit that I'm not entirely sure how the CTW scheme works (presumably you pay it off bit-by-bit through your pay packet pre-tax or something?), but if you were a cash buyer, I'd tell you to go with the Voodoo, and keep the £250 difference to upgrade the things that you actually find you need to make a difference to your riding experience once you've really got into the sport, as I'm not sure the Boardman really represents £250's-worth more bike.
  • http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... &langId=-1
    Looking on halfords site I see they are clearing old stock .you could get a ht pro 26 inch bike for £800 I.e % 20 off. It's a good price for a good bike . I had one it got pinched and luckily upgraded to the ht pro carbon thanks to insurance.
  • gazman428
    gazman428 Posts: 111
    you dont have to use halfords. I have used my last three halfords cycle to work scheme vouchers in 3 different local bike shops and got far better bikes imo
  • chriswim
    @jimothy78 - That is really interesting to know and basically why I asked the question on here! Thanks. The scheme works exactly like you say, pay back the job over 12 mths pre tax so effectively I get the bike tax free. My only slight concern about the Bizango was the extra weight it carried as standard? (I suppose it would be cheaper for me to lose 3 kg that shave it off the bike!!)

@gazman428 also very interesting! Did you take the voucher in just like that or did you have to speak to you LBS in advance?

@coulddobetter - I'll see what old stock they have locally too I think. Gives me another excuse to spend a couple of hours looking in bike shops tomorrow ;-)

I'm fairly sure I can find a better bike for my money if I can look at other brands. Anyone have any obvious suggestions of other brands for less than £1k? I'll have a look through the forum again with that question in mind...
  • jimothy78
    jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
    chriswim wrote:
    @jimothy78 - That is really interesting to know and basically why I asked the question on here! Thanks. The scheme works exactly like you say, pay back the job over 12 mths pre tax so effectively I get the bike tax free. My only slight concern about the Bizango was the extra weight it carried as standard? (I suppose it would be cheaper for me to lose 3 kg that shave it off the bike!!)

erm, it's only 1.3kg, and you'd be likely to lose some of that as and when you upgraded any components, anyway. Bear in mind that it has a longer-travel fork, too, which adds a little bit.
    I'm fairly sure I can find a better bike for my money if I can look at other brands.

Not necessarily, the Bizango's won just about every award going for bikes at that price point, and won MBR's latest "Bike of the year" outright (obviously taking price into account, but the bottom line was "most bang for your buck").
  • chriswim
    erm, it's only 1.3kg, and you'd be likely to lose some of that as and when you upgraded any components, anyway. Bear in mind that it has a longer-travel fork, too, which adds a little bit.

Interesting again, in the store they listed the Bizango weight at 15.6kg and the Boardman at 12.3kg!

Just re-read the Bizango review, liking it....

Thanks all!