Career change

13»

Comments

• VTech
    VTech Posts: 4,736
    nathancom wrote:
    VTech wrote:
    nathancom wrote:
    Yeah I mean greed and avarice has never caused any suffering throughout human history. Silly people suggesting that you should try and live within your means especially when unemployed people each get over 40k a year from the state (wtf?)

I am not sure that Wolf of Wall Street was meant to be a rally cry for the poor disenfranchised bankers, brokers and wannabe Gordon Geckos with hearts made of green ink and cloth paper.

So who exactly is out of touch ?
    Your incessant that I lie yet when I post things you argue to try and make it out to be but are foiled.
    I did explain about unemployed and trust me, there are tens of thousands on the "equivalent" of £40k salaries and thats a fact.

Anyway, what is wrong with trying to earn as much as you can and give your family the most you can ? I live within my means, have no bailiff knocking at the door yet I have known tough times, didn't have a pot to p1ss in as a kid but I worked hard, blo0dy hard and did everything I can to get the things I dreamed about as a kid and when I got fed up of it I sold it. Its a simple method and ANYONE can do it, just that 99% don't, most of that 99% accept a certain lifestyle and a few moan like hell that it isn't fair but do little to change it.

Pivotal moment in my life.
    I was in london working away as no work in the midlands. Wife called me (girlfriend at the time) and told me cooker was on fire. I didn't have the cash to buy a new one and we have a newborn baby.
    That changed everything for me and I'm sure everyone here has had such a moment in their life but its what we do when faced with difficult times. There is a huge element of luck too but if you don't give it a shot how can lady luck find you ?

Its obvious we will never agree but I'm gonna keep on trying.
    Why are you talking about yourself again? It is irrelevant, and personally I am not really interested.

There are not tens of thousands of individuals on the equivalent of £40k a year from unemployment benefits. That is simply incorrect - you have just plucked numbers out of the air in order to demonise those who are not employed.

"Silly people moaning because others want more." That is the attitude that is going to lead to the destruction of the planet as people are told to not look beyond the end of their noses, to take what they want and to then want more like a pig at the trough. It is that attitude that leads us to gladly shaft the person beside us to get the next promotion. An ethical black hole.

I disagree simply because for every person willing to take chances there are hundreds happy to accept the plateau lifestyle.
    Also, the main reason the government have just set rental caps was due to the tens of thousands on huge benefits covering rents and other costs.
    In London there were plenty on benefits claiming upwards of £1500 a month on rent. This alone would be equivalent to a £25k salary before deductions and that's just rent.
    Problem is with people like you that you have little understanding of the bigger picture and hide behind worries instead of getting it done.
    Living MY dream.
  • VTech
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... 0-000.html

That's benefits in cash.
    Thousands. Tens of thousands and doesn't include all the benefits of being unemployed making the numbers far greater.

I'm not knocking the unemployed. I just prefer to pay for mine and my families consumption.
    Living MY dream.
  • nathancom
    nathancom Posts: 1,567
    There is a benefits cap of £350 a week for a single adult with no children. For those hitting the cap (I can try and get the stats, but it is not tens of thousands) that equates to just over £18,000 a year. That would be the equivalent of around £22,000 a year after tax and NI. This is only 54% of £40k a year.

Only those affected by disability or war widows are exempt from the cap but let's demonise the unemployed, it is much more entertaining and makes us all feel better about ourselves after a day of work.

But like you say, facts do not matter. Oh and the source for this: https://www.gov.uk/benefit-cap but you stick with the daily fail.

Edit: 100 families is somewhat less than the tens of thousands you claimed earlier and they have already had their benefits slashed, but again let's ignore that.

And most of this is made up of rent costs that have skyrocketed as buy-to-let people have speculated with property, but again farking poor people ruining this country.
  • VTech
    nathancom wrote:
    There is a benefits cap of £350 a week for a single adult with no children. For those hitting the cap (I can try and get the stats, but it is not tens of thousands) that equates to just over £18,000 a year. That would be the equivalent of around £22,000 a year after tax and NI. This is only 54% of £40k a year.

Only those affected by disability or war widows are exempt from the cap but let's demonise the unemployed, it is much more entertaining and makes us all feel better about ourselves after a day of work.

But like you say, facts do not matter. Oh and the source for this: https://www.gov.uk/benefit-cap but you stick with the daily fail.

Edit: 100 families is somewhat less than the tens of thousands you claimed earlier and they have already had their benefits slashed, but again let's ignore that.

And most of this is made up of rent costs that have skyrocketed as buy-to-let people have speculated with property, but again farking poor people ruining this country.

The cap has only just come into place. There are plenty of methods still around this and you post what suits you as always.
    What's odd about this though is why we are talking about £40k as if that's the holy grail.
    Living MY dream.
  • nathancom
    Why does anyone need more than that. It is probably more than 90% of the world live on. You really need to make your mind up. You can't provide for all the world AND encourage boundless individual greed at the same time. That is a paradox.
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,516
    nathancom wrote:
    Why does anyone need more than that.

If we were happy with what we need rather than what we want the world would be a better place to be.

Unfortunately the human race is more locust like in our circular behaviour consuming and wasting far more than we need.

On a totally irrelevant note the energy or is it stupidity expended in arguing on the internet is truly amazing. I get tired reading the points let alone typing them….. :wink:
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • mouth
    mouth Posts: 1,195
    Mouth wrote:
    a salary around 40k with bonuses so nothing special

I'm just about gonna break 43k as a bus driver for this financial year and you have absolutely no idea how much effort I've had to put in to bring that home as a pay cheque. I've literally grafted my nuts off. Permanent nights, drunks, students, lost tourists, assaults on the bus (not towards me) and no London weighting in the pay packet either.

40k, nothing special? I suggest you remove the silver spoon from your ass.

Have you read the whole thread and my comments on it before you send disgusting insults at me Mr keyboard warrior?

Yes, thank you. What got to me was how casual you are about earning way over a 'normal' wage. "40k? pfft. nothing really...." is the way it reads. What I should have done is closed the tab and not gotten involved but I wear my heart on my sleeve and couldn't really stop myself.

If, of course I've interpreted it wrong and should have seen "I earn 40k a year (ok 30k basic plus some bonus) but I'd much rather be happy at work and wish to do something much more fulfilling and useful to both the local and wider communities" then I'd start thinking about the paramedic training closely followed by the security job.
    The only disability in life is a poor attitude.
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    In answer to your question - yes do change career. I started as a scientist, became an army officer, sales, production, general management. Did an MBA and an accounting qual - report to the CEO of a multinational. I'm not special - just a bit determined. All of this change was facilitated by not being married and having choice over my cashflow. I wanted to end up well off and just set about it. There really is nothing difficult about taking on a new job - the technical and industry specific skills easily evolve from what you have and you always get more when you move on. But don't aim horizontally - aim high!
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • florerider
    florerider Posts: 1,112
    nathancom wrote:

Any particular reason you did not quote the £500 per week for couples, which works out at £30 kpa, or 75% of £40,000 per year?
  • pliptrot
    pliptrot Posts: 582
    nathancom wrote:
    when unemployed people each get over 40k a year from the state (wtf?)

And just how many of the unemployed get -or ever got- that?
    Mouth wrote:
    40k, nothing special? I suggest you remove the silver spoon from your ass

Somebody had to say it. The fortunate amongst us (and, of course, the first thing they deny is that is that luck played any part in their success) normally have a rags-to-riches fantasy to give us. VTech, you should read George Bernhard Shaw - he had the measure of your sort better than anyone.
  • VTech
    pliptrot wrote:
    nathancom wrote:
    when unemployed people each get over 40k a year from the state (wtf?)

And just how many of the unemployed get -or ever got- that?
    Mouth wrote:
    40k, nothing special? I suggest you remove the silver spoon from your ass

Somebody had to say it. The fortunate amongst us (and, of course, the first thing they deny is that is that luck played any part in their success) normally have a rags-to-riches fantasy to give us. VTech, you should read George Bernhard Shaw - he had the measure of your sort better than anyone.

Why you upset at me ?
    You don't even know if I earn £40k or not !
    I have an opinion that in a modern society in the UK it won't really change the life's of most to a level most of you think it would. That's a fact I'm afraid.
    Living MY dream.
  • pliptrot
    VTech,

not upset at you mate, just a friendly dig. You are successful - that much we know - and in today's world there are many very capable people who will never be successful through no fault of their own. Despite the f&*k up that is the modern world (well, particularly the US and the UK, where f&*k you capitalism is now accepted as the only economic and social ideology valid) there are some of us -some of you - who prosper. That prosperity is invariably based on the exploitation of others and/or luck. Richard Branson would now be selling fruit from a barrow if the British taxpayer had not built airports, railways, power stations, etc.etc.etc.

You have shared with us your good fortune and your heartache. It's all appreciated, and if I met you down the pub I know you'd be good company. But when you post here on a thread involving politics and money, and you talk about money and your rise from nothing to a good life, you should expect someone to call you out. Unfairly, probably, but that's life. George Bernhard Shaw (I'm paraphrasing a little) believed the millionaire who claimed to have to come to London with nothing to seek his fortune about as much as I trust Primark when they say they give a sh*t about the Bangladeshi slaves who make their clothes. I like the fact he gave a damn. No-one does today, it seems.
  • VTech
    Pliptrot.
    I take on board what you say.
    Living MY dream.
  • pliptrot
    VTech,

I hope I have not caused offense. This forum would be much, much duller without your input. Don't let cynical, sour, bitter folk on the wrong end of long trips and long flights affect you. (Just back from Iraq....)
  • VTech
    pliptrot wrote:
    VTech,

I hope I have not caused offense. This forum would be much, much duller without your input. Don't let cynical, sour, bitter folk on the wrong end of long trips and long flights affect you. (Just back from Iraq....)

Not at all. The truth is, the same four people who argue with me at every point may well have some good things to say but use anger instead of reasoning to get a point across.

You in the army btw ?
    Living MY dream.
  • nathancom
    edited March 2014
    florerider wrote:
    nathancom wrote:

Any particular reason you did not quote the £500 per week for couples, which works out at £30 kpa, or 75% of £40,000 per year?
    Because I believe it is a fairer comparison between a single person's salary and the benefit cap for a single person. Once you look at couples with children what exactly is far to include and exclude from the comparison? Child benefits? The various tax credits? Work benefits? Statutory Maternity pay? I also cited my source so in no way hid the higher caps, which you still estimate at £10k below the subject of this thread.

I am bemused by assertions in this thread that £40k is not life changing. No one had claimed it is equivalent to winning the lottery, but it is sufficient to sustain a very comfortable standard of living free of significant want.
  • nathancom
    VTech wrote:
    pliptrot wrote:
    VTech,

Not at all. The truth is, the same four people who argue with me at every point may well have some good things to say but use anger instead of reasoning to get a point across.

You in the army btw ?
    You poor abused martyr.
  • VTech
    nathancom wrote:
    florerider wrote:
    nathancom wrote:

Because I believe it is a fairer comparison between a single person's salary and the benefit cap for a single person. Once you look at couples with children what exactly is far to include and exclude from the comparison? Child benefits? The various tax credits? Work benefits? Statutory Maternity pay? I also cited my source so in no way hid the higher caps, which you still estimate at £10k below the subject of this thread.

I am bemused by assertions in this thread that £40k is not life changing. No one had claimed it is equivalent to winning the lottery, but it is sufficient to sustain a very comfortable standard of living free of significant want.

You have fallen foul of your argumentative ways with me as I had stated here about the £40k including ALL benefits like schooling dentistry prescriptions and everything and you argue with me based on a single person claiming.

Also, are you suggesting that someone in the army is a poor little martyr ? I hope that's not what you meant as it would show even poorer taste than you usually do.
    Living MY dream.
  • nathancom wrote:
    VTech wrote:
    pliptrot wrote:
    VTech,

You in the army btw ?
    You poor abused martyr.

Who is the Victim here?
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • nathancom
    VTech wrote:
    nathancom wrote:
    florerider wrote:
    nathancom wrote:

You have fallen foul of your argumentative ways with me as I had stated here about the £40k including ALL benefits like schooling dentistry prescriptions and everything and you argue with me based on a single person claiming.

Also, are you suggesting that someone in the army is a poor little martyr ? I hope that's not what you meant as it would show even poorer taste than you usually do.
    Obviously English comprehension isn't your strong suit. I was replying to Florerider on a different question.
  • VTech
    nathancom wrote:
    VTech wrote:
    nathancom wrote:
    florerider wrote:
    nathancom wrote:

Obviously English comprehension isn't your strong suit. I was replying to Florerider on a different question.

I knew you were but it didn't change the fact that he bought up something that was incorrect in your statement.
    Take note however that I am just pointing out that you made a mistake as I wouldn't go to the level of calling you a liar as only low grade folk would do that.
    Living MY dream.
  • nathancom
    VTech wrote:
    nathancom wrote:
    VTech wrote:
    nathancom wrote:
    florerider wrote:
    nathancom wrote:

I knew you were but it didn't change the fact that he bought up something that was incorrect in your statement.
    Take note however that I am just pointing out that you made a mistake as I wouldn't go to the level of calling you a liar as only low grade folk would do that.
    No, I was explaining to Florerider why I chose to compare a single person's benefits to a single person's salary. It means you are comparing apples with apples. Otherwise you are comparing a joint couple benefit to a single person salary. You are really grasping at straws. Now please give it a rest.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    VTech wrote:
    You in the army btw ?

Hope not - we pulled out of Iraq three years ago...
  • Rather be riding for a pro team on 18grand a year rather than kerb laying what I do for 26grand a year...money's not everything chaps...not how much you earn...it's how you spend it.keep riding
  • mar_k
    mar_k Posts: 323
    I think earning £40k a year is a great achievement. However, I do agree that in the grand scheme of things £40k isn't much and doesn't go very far, especially living in London. I'm a HGV driver and earn close to that ( working an obscene amount of hours/weekends) and it really doesn't go far at all. I don't live a lavish life at all. I've not managed to get on the property ladder either, what with the rent prices round my way exceeding £1200 a month for a 2 bed flat.
    £40k gets eaten up pretty fast without lavish spending. But yes, to earn anywhere near £40k is great.
  • mar_k wrote:
    I think earning £40k a year is a great achievement. However, I do agree that in the grand scheme of things £40k isn't much and doesn't go very far, especially living in London. I'm a HGV driver and earn close to that ( working an obscene amount of hours/weekends) and it really doesn't go far at all. I don't live a lavish life at all. I've not managed to get on the property ladder either, what with the rent prices round my way exceeding £1200 a month for a 2 bed flat.
    £40k gets eaten up pretty fast without lavish spending. But yes, to earn anywhere near £40k is great.

good point well made