Please help me fix my commencal gears

m_cozzy
m_cozzy Posts: 132
edited April 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
I have had this bike from new from a large internet bike company for about 5 months now & barely used it as the gears are so bad. I had never been able to adjust them so they shift up and down smoothly without jumping & skipping. I could get them to work changing up, but that would stuff them for changing down & vice versa.
The other day I discovered that the b screw, I think its called, had been wound right in to possibly take all the slack out of the chain. Adjusting this to give a 6mm gap I read about made them much better, but it now seems the chain is too long?
IMG_20131123_103854_1.jpg

This is what it looks like now on the smallest gears, with the derailer wrapping round itself & the chain hanging slack.
IMG_20131123_103614_1.jpg

This is what it looks like on the largest 2 gears, looks like I could take quite a few links out?
IMG_20131123_103727_1.jpg

Never had sram stuff before and not too impressed as my shimano equipped bikes are all faultless, but perhaps I have been unfairly blaming them if I have a Friday afternoon special & some fool fitted the wrong chain to my bike in the factory?
Banned from singletrack forum again :-)

Comments

• pesky_jones
    pesky_jones Posts: 2,890
    First of all get your chain size right - Largest casette sprocket to largest chainring sprocket + 2 links.

You do this without running the chain through either mechs. If you have a chain device DO run the chain through that however.

Then watch this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UH43OCmArUw

Watch it carefully, and follow each step.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    It looks about right.

Not sure of the arc on that frame, but with some sag there might be no slack. I'd run less b tension gap than that.

Check your cables are clean and routed properly.
  • Cqc
    Cqc Posts: 951
    Youve had a bike with bad gears for 5 months and not sorted it out?! About time! If it's a 3x system (I can't see) then that medium cage mech won't be able to cope with large large or small small ring combinations, so your going to have to compromise with a short chain - cant do large large, or a long chain- cant do small small
  • pesky_jones
    pesky_jones Posts: 2,890
    It looks about right.

Not sure of the arc on that frame, but with some sag there might be no slack. I'd run less b tension gap than that.

Check your cables are clean and routed properly.

Not sure there is one, tit pivots at the BB so the length doesnt differ??
  • m_cozzy
    Good call regarding sag, I hadn't considered that. Its an x2 at the front.
  • http://m.pinkbike.com/news/tech-tuesday ... -2010.html

I found this by far the clearest guide , I run similar set up to you on a hardtail.
  • m_cozzy
    Just an update to the thread, following the guides the chain was too long, I took 2 links out, could have done 3 but played it safe. Shifting is now great :-)
    Lesson learnt, just because its new doesn't mean its been build correctly.