Bye Bye Britain (hopefully soon)

13»

Comments

• team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    Mikey23 wrote:
    quite happy where i am thank you very much. aint perfect but i suspect that no place on this earth is. i suspect that i shall die here

Come off yer bike again? :roll:
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    Mikey23 wrote:
    quite happy where i am thank you very much. aint perfect but i suspect that no place on this earth is. i suspect that i shall die here

No way Mikey, not here. Bottom Bracket is where you'll croak it. Some disgusting image or word will probably do for you. :wink:

Tw@t?
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    Mikey, My only Cornish phrase...

Kyj dhe-ves

I believe that it is a greeting for non locals :D
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    arran77 wrote:
    Mikey23 wrote:

No way Mikey, not here. Bottom Bracket is where you'll croak it. Some disgusting image or word will probably do for you. :wink:

Tw@t?

And what is your problem?

Edit: If you're using the word as an example then please ignore my confrontational question and I will offer my :oops:
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,625
    arran77 wrote:
    Mikey23 wrote:

Tw@t?

No problem, arran was just suggesting a suitable word to knock Mikey off his perch :lol:
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • seanoconn
    Damn you and your edit!!! Tw@t :roll:
  • cornerblock
    seanoconn wrote:
    arran77 wrote:
    Mikey23 wrote:

Tw@t?

No problem, arran was just suggesting a suitable word to knock Mikey off his perch :lol:

Aye I got that just after I'd posted my reply, hence my embarrassed edit. Sometimes it's better to read something more than once!
  • cornerblock
    Damn you and your reply to my edit! Tw@t?
  • Interesting post, especially about Malta.

I partially grew up there, am half Maltese and have many close friends there, both Maltese and incomers. I've been out of the UK now for just over six years (having mostly grown up in the south east); first in Chile and now Switzerland/France. My wife and I moved more because of pull than push factors. We had a good life in Edinburgh (another great place to live) though now when we both reflect on that we feel things have just got better and better and have no desire to move back. The life abroad is the same as the life anywhere: it'll be what you make of it and after a year or so will certainly feel like normal.

The benefits of Malta, besides those which you mention, are the odd familiarity of the place. There has been a language shift since I was last living there but English is still the language of communication and commerce. The roads were horrific and dangerous (don't know if there's been any change there) and there was definitely a bit of a mañana culture. And there are five or six weeks of intense heat in the summer that you'll have difficulty escaping from.

Brits and Maltese are well integrated and you'll be unlikely to feel part of a stifling expat culture. Switzerland is a different matter!

Don't know if I could ride a bike in Malta though. But the food, wine, climate, sea and general warmth of the place are very attractive.

Have fun! I'd been very keen to hear where you're moving to and what your general impressions of the place are.

Try and maintain UK state pension payments and if you own a property in the UK it's probably a good idea to keep it if you can.

Good weather makes a big difference to quality of life!

All the best

SP
  • seanoconn
    Damn you and your reply to my edit! Tw@t?
    :lol:
  • arran77
    seanoconn wrote:
    arran77 wrote:
    Mikey23 wrote:

Tw@t?

Exactly this seanoconn, apologies Cornerblock for the confusion :lol:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • cornerblock
    No no my mistake I should have paid more attention to the ? after tw@t. Dur!
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Boys oh boys, that was a close one... I was wobbling for a minute
  • arran77
    Sorry Mikey :lol:

seanoconn
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    VmanF3 wrote:
    The only place I could see myself going would be West Coast Canada

+1

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    mamba80 wrote:
    ^this is sooooo true - ime the people who have the best chance of making a move abroad work, are those that marry a local :D I went to SA and it was great but I miss our seasons, muddy mtb rides, quiet road rides in the early morning and now, without a job, I ll have plenty of time to do both, I suspect :)

Lol - I forgot about mud. Who in their right mind would move to a country where there is no mud?! :lol:

And yes, obviously the best chance is one where you move to the country of your other half. Either the country will work or the marriage won't!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    I vaguely regret not moving to Aus or NZ when I had the chance, but life is way too short for regrets. My recommendation to the OP is to go native as quickly as possible - learn the language, live like the locals do, and don't mix with expat Brits any more than with any other type of human being.
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • Mikey23
    And be raised by wolves...
  • Pituophis
    Pituophis Posts: 1,025
    Has he gone yet?
  • Mikey23
    Needs to so we can start talking about him...
  • Can I have his avatar?
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,930
    So, is that tw@t Cornerblock not a tw@t then? :?
  • cornerblock
    I've just conducted a quick poll, tw@t. Marriage eh?