Cheaper alternate to Garmin GSC10

supermurph09
supermurph09 Posts: 2,471
edited March 2014 in Road buying advice
Hi

I have an Edge 500 with the cadence and speed sensors but now have a second bike and looking for the sensors to go on that bike. Is there an alternative (cheaper) version that would work with the Edge 500 unit?

Seem to remember that Decathlon may offer something, wondered if others had gone a cheaper route.

Thanks

Comments

• redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    There's a similar thread on Road.cc asking the same, the two items mentioned are
    http://www.decathlon.co.uk/ant-speed-ra ... 81211.html & Bontrager Quick Release ANT+ Sensor
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • porker33
    porker33 Posts: 636
    I bought the Decathlon sensor yesterday...

I had the GSc10 fitted on my winter Caad10 and switched it over to my Madone.....It didn't like the shape of the Madone frame so much and this movement occasionaly affected the reading......
    The decathlon sensor is narrower and a better fit for my bike..

Fitted in 10 mins using rubber bands rather than cable ties, recognised by my Garmin 500 immediately, and works fine.

I like the magnet for the pedal arm, that doesn't require an unsightly cable tie.
  • wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 1,001
    I've got the Decathlon sensor. Always worked well for me.
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,975
    I've got the Decathlon on my 3 bikes.... winter, best and a hybrid I have on the turbo (I can't be bothered to keep swapping them around)... easily fitted and so far working very well.
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,975
    Just a follow up on my earlier post.... On my ride this morning I hit an awkward shaped sort of bump (not a pothole), heard a bit of a noise but carried on. Then realised the cadence wasn't registering. Stopped and looked to see what was wrong and found the cover that holds the battery holder on the Decathlon one was missing, along with the battery.

I went back and was lucky to find both the cover and battery on the road. I managed to put it all back together and carried on with my ride. It stayed in placeand worked fine but I'll put a bit of glue on it to be sure.
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut