Please recommend a mid to high end road frame for me

dzp1
dzp1 Posts: 54
edited March 2014 in Road buying advice
I'd like some buying advice.

I'm a timetriallist but a lot of my miles are done on a road bike, which is a 15 year old alu frame size 52. I find it very bumpy and uncomfy compared to my carbon tt bike even though I've had a bike fit on both, so I'd really like to replace the road bike frame.

Now my tt bike is not exactly designed for comfort but its sooo much nicer to ride over the bumpy lanes that I ride on. I'm thinking that almost any carbon road bike would suit. But that doesn't really help zoom in does it ! I'd like something decently fast that if I chose to do a couple of road races it would fit the bill, but also be strong enough and comfortable enough for those 4 hour winter base rides.

As a rider I'm quite long bodied at 5'8" but only a 30" inside leg, I don't know if that affects frame choice. On my 52cm road bike the saddle is all the way back and I have a 12cm stem on there, and yet the seat post is only about 5 inches up !!

So - what framesets to look at ? I reckon I'd spend between £600 and £2000 on the new frame. I've been looking at Scott frames and the top end foils seem to just fit in, but what else should I be looking at ?

Also if you know of any bargains at the moment please pop them in here !

thanks in advance !

Comments

• Canyon CF SLX
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • Coach H
    Coach H Posts: 1,092
    Canyon CF SLX

I think Canyon frames have some of the best bang for buck out there (that's why I have one), but the geometry is not great for those of us with long bodies and short legs, One look at the stubby length of my seatpost testifies to that!
    Coach H. (Dont ask me for training advice - 'It's not about the bike')
  • dzp1
    Thanks guys, I think I also saw online some nightmare stories about Canyon's customer service attitude.

Re the geometry I presume that a set back seat post instead of straight, and a 12 cm stem, should fit most people (but I won't speculate I'll get the tape measure out tonight and measure up what my current frame is !)
  • dzp1
    Yeah I just googled canyon customer service and every cycling forum on the web is plastered with people moaning !
  • snowley
    snowley Posts: 149
    If you like the look of the Scott's, see the link below for a great deal. Would probably be a good mix of aero and comfort....

http://www.westbrookcycles.co.uk/scott- ... et-p237560
  • dzp1
    snowley wrote:
    If you like the look of the Scott's, see the link below for a great deal. Would probably be a good mix of aero and comfort....

http://www.westbrookcycles.co.uk/scott- ... et-p237560

Thanks, I had seen this before, but didn't fancy DI2.

But then I thought OMG this is like a free DI2 with the frame at normal price, so I've bought it anyway !!!!!! 8)

So, I should be getting it in a few days, then the nightmare of building it begins :)

thanks all
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Basso. Italian and constructed and built in house.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.