Advice - sheared chain stay

mavientes
mavientes Posts: 26
edited March 2014 in MTB general
Just wondering what people would do and whether this has happened to other people with the same bike.

I have a Carrera Banshee, just over a year ago, after only having it 9 months the chain stay sheared whilst cycling to work. Halfords happily replaced the frame and quite right too. However that frame has sheared on the chain stay in exactly the same place today, another clean shear (I have compared this to the picture I took of the original shear and it is a carbon copy break), again whilst cycling back from work. So on both occasions the bike wasn't even being 'ragged', in fact the nearest this has come to being ragged is a on the dirt tracks around the local parks.

So a) has this happened to anyone else as I am thinking this may be a design fault and a weak spot on the bike that is prone to failure and needs addressing and b) I'm taking the bike back this weekend, what should I do? To be honest I don't think I'll be happy with yet another frame and I certainly wouldn't feel confident with it to push the bike to any limits. Should I just ask for my money back. a different bike of similar value spec, or maybe sue the gits for twice giving me faulty frames which could have ended in me having a serious accident on the road? What are my rights regarding this Technically the bike is almost 2 years old, but the new frame is only just over a year old, so it's not like it's an old bike either.

Any advice on what to do much appreciated

Comments

• http://www.tradingstandards.gov.uk/cgi- ... 3-1011.txt. Personally I would calmly point out exactly what you said here. It can't be coincidence it has failed in the same place. Initially just ask calmly what they intend to do to recompense you . If they suggest yet another frame reject that offer saying you have lost faith in a potentially dangerous product.
    I am not totally familiar with sale of goods act but read up on it as goods have to be fit for purpose

Just googling carrera banshee problems turns up a lot of similar tails . ( adds power to your case ) Carrera warranty frames for 2 years.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The Banshee used to snap the drive side chainstay just by the 42T chainwheel, the later bikes have a solid section there and I've not heard of those breaking (A mate has one and rides it HARD and a lot!), is yours tubular or solid?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • nasha48
    nasha48 Posts: 231
    My Boardman FS sheared 6 weeks ago at the chainstay. However, it's out of warranty so that made it a bit trickier to get back in the saddle quickly. Took it to Halfords and although they couldn't find a matching rear end section, they did find that another off a Voodoo frame would fit the bill. So they removed this part from a new frame, fitted it to mine, charged me £80 parts + £80 labour and I was back out on it the following weekend.

I know from various forums etc that my experience was not unique - in fact it was a known weakness with my particular frame design. Anyway, in your position I would definately not get another one the same - demand an upgraded bike or just get a full refund. By the way, I've got a feeling that the Banshee frames were pretty much the same design as my Boardman frame back in 2009.
  • mavientes
    The Rookie wrote:
    The Banshee used to snap the drive side chainstay just by the 42T chainwheel, the later bikes have a solid section there and I've not heard of those breaking (A mate has one and rides it HARD and a lot!), is yours tubular or solid?

cheers for that, both the frames were tubular. And this is exactly where it's snapped too. I shall mention this when I go

And Nasha - thanks also, I'm certainly not going to go for the same frame and will be hoping they will give me a replacement of similar spec.
  • I'd just ask for an upgraded version. I don't think you'd get your money back or certainly not all of it but a new and upgraded frame without the problem seems ok. Plus they get to strip it all down and re build it, so you're probably going to get a free yearly service out of it with possibly new cables. Or, they may just give you the latest frame in a whole new bike form. But I wouldn't demand a bike, they only have to replace the frame but for the second time it should be for a frame that doesn't have the same problem.
  • It's a known issue with the Banshee and to be honest I don't know why Halfords still sell them with that frameset design. I'd have a nice chat with the Bikhut manager at your local branch and then if doesn't resolve the issue to your satisfaction then ring customer services.
  • mavientes
    Thanks for all your advice and replies. The manager at Halfords could not have helped me any more, in fact he remembered me from when I first bought it.
    He was aware of the issue and as confirmed, as some of your posts told me, the new range had the issue resolved. He offered to either order me a brand new one (straight replacement) or give me a new bike form in store, paying any extra. However there were no full sussers at a price I could afford (I love full sussers even though I never really use them as I should), so instead of waiting up to 2 possible weeks for a new replacement, he discounted me a hard tail with better spec all round (Voodoo Bizango) and threw in a few accessories for free. I went for this after reading the review on it.
    I'm happy with this and the service received, also that Carrera have resolved this issue. I'm now looking forward to trying out my new hard tail and I intend to use it to it's limit.
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    Bizango looks an ace bike. Enjoy it. I'm glad it has worked out for you.
  • Good result ........one in the eye for those who knock Halfords.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Excellent customer service, couldn't ask for more, though you had a good claim under SoGA
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.