etape De cymru

jamslam
jamslam Posts: 3
edited September 2014 in Sportives/audaxes/training rides
I'm thinking of doing this and would like some advice on what cassette to use, I've ridden the cotswold sportive and managed that with a 12/25 and in time of 5 hrs 20 with not alot of training but have started putting the miles in early as the etape is my goal this year. Any advice would be great, regards jamie

Comments

• Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    If its the usual route including Worlds End then you need a gear that will get you up a 25% hill. Typically need 50/34 and a 12-27 cassette myself - but everyone is different and depends on fitness at the time really. Go with the lowest you have really.
  • jscl
    jscl Posts: 1,015
    I don't know the route for this event. But for me, I NEVER go compact. 53/39 at the front all the time and just swap the cassette around. I've taken on 32% inclines with 39-28. I'd personally say to go 53/39 with an 11-28.
    Follow me on Twitter - http://twitter.com/scalesjason - All posts are strictly my personal view.
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    @JSCL- You give terrible advice.

@OP- The Cotswolds are pretty flat when compared to Wales. If you're not used to long and steep climbs then at the very minimum you should go compact with a 27/28.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    JSCL wrote:
    I don't know the route for this event. But for me, I NEVER go compact. 53/39 at the front all the time and just swap the cassette around.

Well thats because you're obviously a stronger climber than Alberto Contador - who won a couple of stages using a compact crankset in the Tirreno Adriatico last weekend. +1 to Grill's summary
  • jscl
    JSCL wrote:
    I don't know the route for this event. But for me, I NEVER go compact. 53/39 at the front all the time and just swap the cassette around.

Well thats because you're obviously a stronger climber than Alberto Contador - who won a couple of stages using a compact crankset in the Tirreno Adriatico last weekend. +1 to Grill's summary
    Not really. I was talking about what I'd do, I've never felt the need to go compact (but have wished I had it on some climbs). It has it's uses, but a majority of riding I've done has never justified it.
    Follow me on Twitter - http://twitter.com/scalesjason - All posts are strictly my personal view.
  • Grill
    The Yr Elenydd 305 is in 3 weeks. I'd love to see how you fair on a standard...
  • sbbefc
    sbbefc Posts: 189
    The lowest gear I used was a 40/28. I ride a triple but didn't need the small ring, the steepest part is probably the beginning of worlds end but it doesn't last too long. I live in the area so I do get to practice the hills a lot.
  • jscl
    Grill wrote:
    Oh sorry, I thought we were talking about one day things here.... Oh wait, we are. I'm not saying compacts don't have their role.
  • Grill
    JSCL wrote:
    Grill wrote:
    Oh sorry, I thought we were talking about one day things here.... Oh wait, we are. I'm not saying compacts don't have their role.

But you 'NEVER' go compact... :roll:
  • jscl
    Grill wrote:
    JSCL wrote:
    Grill wrote:

I never do 3-Week Audaxes, nor am I interested in doing so.
  • Grill
    JSCL wrote:
    Grill wrote:
    JSCL wrote:
    Grill wrote:

Jesus... It's a one day (or more specifically it has a 20 hour time limit) 305km ride and it is in 3 weeks time, so you can still get your entry in.
  • jscl
    Grill wrote:
    JSCL wrote:
    Grill wrote:
    JSCL wrote:
    Grill wrote:

Jesus... It's a one day (or more specifically it has a 20 hour time limit) 305km ride and it is in 3 weeks time, so you can still get your entry in.
    Doesn't interest me in the slightest, but thanks anyway. Back to the topic of the thread; I'd do it on a 53/39 with 11/28 - but if you need it, go compact. (happy Eric?)
  • Grill
    Better.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,243
    I did it last year with an 11 Kg bike and a 39 x 27... on balance I wish I had better gears... Horseshoe pass is very easy but World's End is quite brutal and it comes after a long sequence of up and down...
    On the up side the last 10 miles are a false flat going down and you can hammer to the finish... Nice day on the bike, but nothing spectacular... road conditions often shocking
    left the forum March 2023
  • Flâneur
    Flâneur Posts: 3,081
    I ride around there a a lot and a compact does make life a lot easier, but saying that I've been riding a standard since last summer but when I needed a new cassette I went with an 11-28 and find it all doable, but then it is my regular stomping ground so I may be more used to the effort of such climbs.

If you feel you are a good/solid climber as it is then maybe lower the cassette but don't stress over a new chainring.
    Stevo 666 wrote: Come on you Scousers! 20/12/2014
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    I'd say if in doubt, take the lowest gear your bike will take. Just put a 12-29 cassette on mine to go with a compact chainring and it makes 20% inclines easier. Whilst I may be physically able to pull a 39-27 up a 20-25% incline, I wouldn't fancy it with a lot of miles in my legs.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • I think some of you are being confused by our glorious Welsh language. The title of the thread is Etape De Cymru which is South Wales so will not include Worlds End / Horseshoe etc.

However I have just googled Etape De Cymru and can not find it, only the normal Etape Cymru which obviously does include the above places.

Don't know if the OP has put the De in for effect but confusingly it is the Welsh for South!
  • stanthomas
    stanthomas Posts: 265
    ... our glorious Welsh language...
    Ok, impress me. Write that whole post in Cymraeg.
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    JSCL wrote:
    I don't know the route for this event. But for me, I NEVER go compact. 53/39 at the front all the time and just swap the cassette around. I've taken on 32% inclines with 39-28. I'd personally say to go 53/39 with an 11-28.

If you'd said "I know the route well, it's very challenging with some 25% extended gradients" and then give the OP advise, it would make sense.

OP - If you have access to a compact and an 11-28, take it, you'll have lower bottom end than a 39x28 and higher than a 53x12

It's just maths. http://sheldonbrown.com/gears/
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Better to have the low gear and not need it, than need it and not have it.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • I don't really get the willy waving thing with gear ratios you use the most efficient gear for the terrain and fitness of the rider. I did a 117 mile ride with 8000 ft of climbing on a 12-25 compact and could have done with a 27/28 on the later climbs as they mashed my knees a bit.
    For me I'd go 28 on that route again or a route with more climbing as comfy=quick for me
  • stanthomas wrote:
    ... our glorious Welsh language...
    Ok, impress me. Write that whole post in Cymraeg.

Nid ddylai Gymraeg a defnyddio fel sideshow ar gyfer y pleser bobl Saes, "dweudwch rhywbeth yn Gymraeg" ond fel iaith bob dydd os bosib.

Ond, yn anffodus Stan dwi ddim yn dyfnyddio Cymraeg lot rwan, dwi'n byw yn Lloegr dros deugain mlynydd.
  • frazered
    frazered Posts: 333
    Etape Cymru registration - spotted it has to done in person on the Friday or sat in Bangor on dee.

No reg on the day of the event. For me that is a dedicated 2 hr round trip drive to register. Totally unreasonable. Why can't they register people like all the other events in the world?!
  • ugo.santalucia
    frazered wrote:
    Etape Cymru registration - spotted it has to done in person on the Friday or sat in Bangor on dee.

No reg on the day of the event. For me that is a dedicated 2 hr round trip drive to register. Totally unreasonable. Why can't they register people like all the other events in the world?!

For some reason registration and start are not in the same place. The start is also very early at around 7 AM. THere is a lot of traffic to get to the start and if registration was on the day it would probably be very difficult to handle... remember it's on closed roads.
    All events on closed roads seem to have that kind of faff... just look at RL100
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    frazered wrote:

I think it's always been this way, it's also attracted criticism before about this policy. You can get a friend to register on your behalf.

Or:

Just turn up any nice day that suits you and ride the same course and spend the 60 odd quid on something else. Traffic is really not a problem on these roads - that's part of the reason why approval was gained to close them.
  • dandrew
    dandrew Posts: 175
    These event that insist that you register only do so to please exhibitors or local councils, both of whom are looking for a significant spend. None of them do it for the benefit of cyclists.
    The business model needs adjusting.
  • ugo.santalucia
    dandrew wrote:
    These event that insist that you register only do so to please exhibitors or local councils, both of whom are looking for a significant spend. None of them do it for the benefit of cyclists.
    The business model needs adjusting.

That's of course very true... however, if there was nothing for the local community and everyone turned up in a car park did their thing and drove back home, it is unlikely local autorities would allow ev ents to go ahead, let alone road closures...

It's a "do ut des" situation
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    I don't really get the willy waving thing with gear ratios
    THIS

of course, my first sportive (Etape Caledonia) was done on a 12kg bike with 52/42 x 11/22. You could spin up to 20mph in the granny gear...
  • I'm looking forward to watching this Cymru Etape on Sunday (14th September). I know some of you will laugh but it's a shame that the energy bars provided en route, as far as I can tell, will be only PowerBar, many of which contain pork gelatine and so unsuitable for veggies and other folk who can't stomach pork or gelatine. So, the veggies are disadvantaged by having to carry the extra weight of 5 or 6 bars to last the 5 / 6 hours of the very hilly race. Oh well. All the more acheivement then for them.
  • I'm looking forward to watching this Cymru Etape on Sunday (14th September). I know some of you will laugh but it's a shame that the energy bars provided en route, as far as I can tell, will be only PowerBar, many of which contain pork gelatine and so unsuitable for veggies and other folk who can't stomach pork or gelatine. So, the veggies are disadvantaged by having to carry the extra weight of 5 or 6 bars to last the 5 / 6 hours of the very hilly race. Oh well. All the more acheivement then for them.
    I never use things like that from the services anyway I always take my own stuff. I usually only stop for water and a wee although salted potatoes and cheese on toast do tempt me occasionally. It was a great ride out there today. It felt like numbers were down on previous years. I hope the guy who face planted on the first descent is ok. He was being tended to and was conscious when I went past.