Roadies advice on Cyclocross bikes, Giant Anyroad & Revolt?

daisbuys
daisbuys Posts: 167
edited March 2014 in Road buying advice
I'm on the verge of getting the Giant anyroad 1, but am also torn with the revolt 1.

I'm a keen MTB, currently riding a 2013 Zesty and I just want a cyclocross to get some training in when I haven't got enough time to load up the bike and equipment and drive to my nearest trails. So this will be something I can just hop on out of the front door for a quick hour or so blast!

I would probably be doing most the mileage by road, but would also like to do some fire road epics every now and again.

So am looking at these two bikes as they seem capable of both, just want a helping hand to make a decision.

Would be grateful if anyone can take a quick look over the bikes, and better still if any owners of either bikes can comment with their thoughts on them?

Here's the bikes:

Anyroad1

IMAGE_33.jpg

http://www.rutlandcycling.com/150488/pr ... -bike.aspx

And the Revolt1

IMAGE_34.jpg

http://www.rutlandcycling.com/150574/pr ... -bike.aspx

Comments

• daisbuys
    Thanks for the link!

I did ponder over that, but I initially only wanted to spend £600 on a second bike. And I have upped the budget now with these to £799 as I get 20% discount through my company on these particular two.

Planet X does look a beast though....
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    The Revolt took my eye in my LBS the other day. Seems pretty overbuilt and heavy though, but with a certain "go anywhere" look. However, I think you can do something similar with a much lighter bike (especially looking at what Martin Ashton got away with on a carbon Pinarello road bike in his viral "road party" YouTube vid). I like this:

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/pin ... e-ec054865

Evans were doing it for £810 but see it's back up to £900 again now, sure they'll discount it again and I might bite when they do...
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • daisbuys
    Cheers again for that, looks nice. But I can only choose between these bikes due to discount and finance reasons.

Looks like I'm going to end up with the revolt, as it seems my kinda bike with regards to taking in fire road epics....and the anyroad is out of stock anyway :(
  • FransJacques
    FransJacques Posts: 2,148
    If you want off-road capability, choose the one with the following:
    - longest wheelbase,
    - longest chainstays,
    - shallowest head angle,
    - highest BB (not sure Giant gives this out)
    - biggest tyre clearance so you can get some phat rubber on there
    - lowest granny gear

The second bike looks a lot better than the first one.
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • antsmithmk
    antsmithmk Posts: 717
    I dont like the look of either. Too far removed from a road frame geometry for !y liking. I ride a Boardman CX comp which is cheaper than the these and IMO looks 'nicer'!
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    edited March 2014
    Both look bloody awful imo, horrible looking things. The Planet X or the Boardman are much better buys.

If you do insist on one of the Giants, get a test ride at the Rutland cycling Giant dealers before you buy.
  • daisbuys
    Functionality over vanity is my main concern.

As when I take it on the fire roads where theres no one around bar me, I don't think I will be concerned over the looks of the bike.

Thanks for to input anyway.

Fransjaques, thanks for the tips. The revolt is the better bike in this instance.
  • ilovegrace
    ilovegrace Posts: 677
    A fieend of mine has just got the Revolt on the cycle to work scheme , his first real bike and he loves it.
    I recomended he went for this bike (Giant dealer a mile from where he lives and a meber of CTW scheme).
    In all honesty they are a hybrid bike with drop handell bars.
    I doubt you would get anywhere fast, but for on/off road workouts and at the price you are getting it for this bike would be the one to match your needs.
    regards
    ILG
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    Daisbuys. If you're anywhere near Wiltshire and 6ft plus Halfords in Chippenham got a 2013 Boardman CX in large for 495 quid. Is a group test winner and I'd snap it up but alas it's too big for me...they go for more than that on ebay (now....there's an idea!)
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • daisbuys
    Thanks ilovegrace, sounds like the type of bike I'm after tbh, and it will probably be a lot faster than my full suspension zesty.
    Cheers luv2ride, but I'm only 5'10 and gonna go for the revolt now as it will be a perfect ride for fire road epics....