Front Fork Respray

cmwood2809
cmwood2809 Posts: 3
edited March 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
I have recently had cause to replace the front forks on my Black Trek Fuel EX8. Is has come back from the repairers with 'white' forks and it looks a bit like driving round in a black car with a white bonnet!! I need to get the forks either sprayed, powder coated, or vinyl wrapped (apparently black ones cannot be sourced as an after fit). Is anyone able to point me in the right direction as I am struggling to find anyone who will touch it. Thanks

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Just ride the bloomin' thing, it's not a fashion accessory, it's a bike!

Probably cheapest to buy a new pair of lowers in black if you must, but the sons bike has white Magura's on a black (laquered CF) frame and I can't see an issue.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    The Rookie wrote:

Exactly. Also, painting them will almost certainly invalidate the warranty.
  • jimothy78
    jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
    The Rookie wrote:

+1
    My bike is as ugly as sin, but you can't see when you're riding it ;)
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    Can't powdercoat them, they're magnesium alloy. Loads of bikes come with white forks without having any other white on the bike anyway.
  • UncleMonty
    UncleMonty Posts: 385
    I have white forks with a black frame - looks cool :)
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    I painted a set of Forks with some rattle cans. Stripped the forks down so I just had the lowers, masked off with tape and silicone then rubbed them down to the metal with several grades of wet and dry paper finishing with 1000 grit. Sprayed a coat of etch primer then a coat of white primer undercoat a light rub with 1000 grit to key then 3 light coats of Fire Engine Red and then 2 coats of laquer with a rub down with 1500 grit between each coat.

After all that work when I refitted them to the bike they looked like a moustache drawn on the Mona Lisa, should have just bought some new stickers.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • Thanks, a few more stickers is looking like the way forward.
  • I have resprayed my Pikes and my Rebas recently, not a hard job and for under £10 in paint and £5 per set of decals they look like new again-confused how buying new lowers could be considered cheaper...

77dbb36a7e5c44f86000510170fbd936_zps5cc20b45.jpg

2014-02-02170620_zpsb48632c7.jpg
  • Cqc
    Cqc Posts: 951
    ^Pretty good finish you've got there...
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    I like your fire.
  • Please take it, it's frickin' rancid!
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Not as rancid as the hole it will leave behind it!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.