40 / 42T sprocket range expander

2»

Comments

• tk46hal
    tk46hal Posts: 138
    This subject has been very useful for me!
    I run a 29er with a 1x10 setup but have a 36t up front with a XT 11-36 at the back. I've run this for a couple of years now and I manage ok, but as my rides are getting longer my legs are feeling it! I'm quite fit but sometimes would love that easier gear to get me up the steep bits towards the end of the rides so do you all think that the jump from 36 to 40t would be noticed? Or do I consider as well a smaller front ring?
    I would appreciate your thoughts!
    Thanks.
  • Ferrals
    Ferrals Posts: 785
    Can anyone update me on how they are getting on with these expanders now they've had them for a while?

I am thinking of going 1 by 10 and am particularly interested in anyone who has experience of 42 v 40 as I am more inclined for 42 to get my gear ratios widest.

Also feedback from anyone who's used the one-up components stuff would be really useful. I am keener to get this than hope because at the moment one up are shipping a free 16 tooth sprocket with the 40/42 ring so you can switch the 15 and 17 for just a 16 so your cassette ends up being 11-13-16-19-21-24-28-32-36-(40/42) wich seems like a nice smooth progression.

I intend to run with no chain guide, a narrow-wide 34 tooth front ring and a SRAM X-7 Type 2 Medium Cage 10 speed rear mech.
  • russyh
    russyh Posts: 1,375
    I have run most of the different options now. Started with a general lee 42t, which was a pain to index and wasn't the smoothist shifting no matter what I did. I then bought a oneup 42t, which was great no issues at all apart from some stupid lead times. Fitted a hope trex couple of months back, it's been faultless. I have not once missed the 17t sprocket, range is plenty big enough for me to spin up anything all day long with a 32t up front. Looks like I will get reasonable use out of it as it's not wearing to quickly. Really happy with purchase
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    I'm waiting on an Absolute Black 28-40t Cassette Adapter. Good reviews, stronger than the single sprocket solutions and you end up with a lighter cassette than you started with
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • Ferrals
    Cheers both. Felix that looks really sensible, although I'm leaning towards a 42 tooth. Got to decide on whether to do 32 or 34 too. I'll probably weight till I can ride again and test climbing the local hills without the lowest gears before deciding.
  • I have just converted my 2012 Specialized Epic 29er from 2 x 10 to 1 x 10 using raceface narrow/thin 34T chainset and 11 - 40 (with Hope T-Rex expander). This ratio works perfectly well on a 29er.
  • I have 34 front and 11-40 with hope t-rex on the rear.

Gives me just enough gearing to be able to spin up steep stuff without completely spinning out.

One thing is that the chain will drop off the t-rex even with the slightest back pedal (repositioning pedals to get up over steps frinstance).

However, I've just moved a BB spacer from the drive side to NDS and the chainline looks much better. Havent tested to see if it fixes the issue though..
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Im also running 34t narrow wide chainring with 11-40t cassette using the One Up range expander. The ratios work perfectly for me.
    Im having no problems with the chain dropping when pedalling backwards.
  • Ferrals
    Not sure why this has come back up, but I've been using 1by10 for a few months now. 34t front and 11-42 rear, think it's brilliant :-)
  • Im also running 34t narrow wide chainring with 11-40t cassette using the One Up range expander. The ratios work perfectly for me.
    Im having no problems with the chain dropping when pedalling backwards.

Yeah I think the back pedalling thing is just a Hope thing. had read about it from a few people, but I think depends on setup.

Hoping a few tweeks will sort it as its pretty annoying!
  • Hope are soon to be making a cassette 11/40t :) expect it late this year and get saving now :)
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    Back pedalling thing is usually a chainline/tension thing.