rant-red lights

kennygalbraith
kennygalbraith Posts: 101
edited March 2014 in Commuting chat
Quite a common sight I suppose, cycling to work,overtake fellow cyclist further down the road you stop at the RED light and a few moments later your fellow cyclist saunters through the RED light totally not giving a shi*.
I wish people would follow the rules of the road....

rant over lol.

Comments

• Jamie1966
    Jamie1966 Posts: 38
    Can i ask a question please, If you was to get off your bike at a red light and then go onto the pavement to carry on past the lights is this allowed?
  • Phil_D
    Phil_D Posts: 467
    Yes, but you have to lift the wheels of the bike off the road to be classed as a pedestrian
  • Phil_D
    Quite a common sight I suppose, cycling to work,overtake fellow cyclist further down the road you stop at the RED light and a few moments later your fellow cyclist saunters through the RED light totally not giving a shi*.
    I wish people would follow the rules of the road....

rant over lol.

As soon as they RLJ when you're racing them (even if they don't know you are racing them), they are cheats and disqualified. You win. You should be happy.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Phil_D wrote:
    Yes, but you have to lift the wheels of the bike off the road to be classed as a pedestrian

Not true.

Already been proven otherwise.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Phil_D
    Phil_D wrote:

Not true.

Really? I've been lifting my bike up for no reason then.

Thanks.
  • Jamie1966
    Jamie1966 Posts: 38
    Thank you :)
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Yay! A red light thread!

Basically, the official line is that its ok to RLJ as long as you're wearing a helmet.
  • MrSweary
    MrSweary Posts: 1,699
    If only we had a thread for rants already...
    Kinesis Racelite 4s disc
    Kona Paddy Wagon
    Canyon Roadlite Al 7.0 - reborn as single speed!
    Felt Z85 - mangled by taxi.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Phil_D wrote:
    Phil_D wrote:

Not true.

Really? I've been lifting my bike up for no reason then.

Thanks.

For example:
    It is not illegal to cycle across a Zebra crossing if there is shared-use to either side, but it is contrary to Rule 64 of the Highway Code which states that cyclists should dismount and walk across Zebra crossings. Breach of the highway code could be used as evidence of an offence, eg cycling dangerously, or of evidence of negligence in the event of a
    collision. [To date, there is insufficient evidence to suggest a change in Rule 64 of the Highway Code is needed and it is therefore not TfL’s intention to pursue this aspect]

from http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloads/ ... ssings.pdf

and:

https://www.gov.uk/rules-for-cyclists-5 ... d-79-to-82
    4. Crossing the road (79 to 82)

Do not ride across equestrian crossings, as they are for horse riders only. Do not ride across a pelican, puffin or zebra crossing. Dismount and wheel your cycle across.

Toucan crossings. These are light-controlled crossings which allow cyclists and pedestrians to share crossing space and cross at the same time. They are push-button operated. Pedestrians and cyclists will see the green signal together. Cyclists are permitted to ride across.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    There's a toucan crossing near old street
    Toucan crossings. These are light-controlled crossings which allow cyclists and pedestrians to share crossing space and cross at the same time. They are push-button operated. Pedestrians and cyclists will see the green signal together. Cyclists are permitted to ride across.

I've only taken that route once. What actually happens is the lights are red for both pedestrians and cyclists. A gap appears in the traffic so the pedestrians start crossing, then the cyclists do (only the cyclist are breaking the law now.) Eventually I'm left by myself until the lights go green.
    Ah, here we go. The pedestrians are not breaking the law. The people pushing their bikes are not, but the people cycling are.
    https://maps.google.co.uk/?ll=51.526575,-0.083492&spn=0.000013,0.012263&t=m&z=17&layer=c&cbll=51.526565,-0.083566&panoid=Leifqy0yBVmXv24QA8Cp7g&cbp=12,203.2,,0,5.24
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    notsoblue wrote:
    Yay! A red light thread!

Basically, the official line is that its ok to RLJ as long as you're wearing a helmet.

Excellent, lets have a debate on the pros and cons of helmet wearing while we're about it :lol:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,329
    arran77 wrote:
    notsoblue wrote:
    Yay! A red light thread!

Excellent, lets have a debate on the pros and cons of helmet wearing while we're about it :lol:
    Should we add hi viz and headphones just to be thorough?
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Veronese68 wrote:
    arran77 wrote:
    notsoblue wrote:
    Yay! A red light thread!

I hi-viz headphones should be compulsory.
  • keyser__soze
    keyser__soze Posts: 2,067
    jds_1981 wrote:

Ah, here we go. The pedestrians are not breaking the law. The people pushing their bikes are not, but the people cycling are.

Toucans are advisory, meaning you can cross even on red. We've done this before: viewtopic.php?f=40052&t=12840359
    "Mummy Mummy, when will I grow up?"
    "Don't be silly son, you're a bloke, you'll never grow up"
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    Veronese68 wrote:
    arran77 wrote:
    notsoblue wrote:
    Yay! A red light thread!

Good idea, also some lights maybe, but what about a colour other than red for the back? I'm thinking of a flashing blue light maybe?
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,329
    I don't think anyone disagrees with the use of lights, I use mine in daylight as well though.
    Now, hi viz headphones is interesting. Hi viz good countered with headphones bad could cause a persons head to explode due to hitting a yes/no resonant frequency of sanctiomniousness.
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    Traffic lights should be Give Way for bikes unless there's a separate red/green signal for bikes. There should only be a red/green light for bikes if there is traffic crossing the carriageway from left or right, joining the carriageway from the left or there is a pedestrian crossing.

They are a crude attempt to automate a traffic policeman directing traffic, they are dumb (unless they are linked to an AI controlling traffic across an entire city) and probably cause more accidents and congestion than they solve.

While we're at it all ASLs should be backed up with cameras with fines and points given on a three strikes basis. But you wouldn't need ASLs if the law allowed junctions to be designed so bikes can move off while cars remain stationary and cyclists had priority in a zone maybe 20m leading up to the junction.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • jds_1981
    jds_1981 wrote:

Toucans are advisory, meaning you can cross even on red. We've done this before: viewtopic.php?f=40052&t=12840359

Very interesting - I'd missed that discussion.
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • jds_1981
    Pedestrian lights should be made smarter and so only turn on when someone is still stood there. Should also turn change quicker if there's a break in the traffic (thus avoiding people walking across before they change.)
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    jds_1981 wrote:
    Pedestrian lights should be made smarter and so only turn on when someone is still stood there. Should also turn change quicker if there's a break in the traffic (thus avoiding people walking across before they change.)
    No lights should make you wait if there's no traffic in the other lanes. Like I said, they are mostly dumb and run on timers not sensors which is why they annoy so many road users into running reds.

However, I like the lights with speed sensors that change to red if you're speeding: http://articles.philly.com/2013-11-20/n ... it-sensors
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.