Wheels - rider weight limit

TKF
TKF Posts: 279
edited March 2014 in Road buying advice
When wheel manufacturers quote a "rider weight limit" what is included?

If a rider is 85kg and he buys wheels with a 90kg max he should be fine. But what about the weight of the bike, toolkit, 1.5L water etc?

I've always understood that it just refers to the rider however I've just seen one if the online retailers say it includes the bike.

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    The clue is in the name, I think. 'Rider' weight limit - not 'overall' weight limit. Either way, if you are having to deduct the weight of water bottles, etc, in order to get under a quoted weight limit, then I would imagine the wheels you are looking at are probably not ideal for you...
  • TKF
    Imposter wrote:
    The clue is in the name, I think. 'Rider' weight limit - not 'overall' weight limit. Either way, if you are having to deduct the weight of water bottles, etc, in order to get under a quoted weight limit, then I would imagine the wheels you are looking at are probably not ideal for you...
    OK then, if I'm 85kg, would you say a 90kg limit would be a good wheel choice?

Wiggle says no.
  • pitchshifter
    pitchshifter Posts: 1,476
    What wheels?
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    These limits don't mean anything... they don't run extensive road tests with riders of different weight and then apply statistics to see where the acceptable point is. They give an indication, which means that generally speaking if you are under 90 Kg, they might even make it to the end of their warranty period... if you are over they are less likely...
    But then again, an 80Kg rider who does 8K miles per year is more likely to have problems than a 90Kg rider who only rides them for 3K miles per year.

If you want to do big mileage, stay away from anything with a weight limit.

Some don't even bother with weight limits, like SHimano, essentially because refusing a warranty claim on the grounds that the customer is too heavy is not applicable in the real world, hence putting a weight limit reduces business and it's a waste of time...

Any Clearer?
    left the forum March 2023
  • TKF
    It's actually a set of Shimano which raised the question (RS81 C35) as the Wiggle Q&A section says "Maximum rider weight is 90kg. This also includes the weight of the bike"

I get that it's more horses for courses and cyclocrossing vs smooth European tarmac makes weight limits meaningless. I'm sure I would be fine on those or 90% of the wheels in the market however it's things like warranty that concern me enough to ask.

And yes, for that money I'm also looking at handbuilts.
  • ugo.santalucia
    Wiggle will not ask you for proof of your weight when you buy them or when you return them, so the warranty issue is not something you should be concerned about... that's bombproof.

If you like the C 35, get the C 35... you make an informed choice, can't go wrong... of course me thinks a moneky is a lot of cash for a pair of disposable wheels, but that's another story and one you don't need to listen to (again!). :wink:
  • TKF
    I'd get them to price match so it would be a pony under a monkey. But point taken.
  • mike6
    mike6 Posts: 1,199
    TKF wrote:
    I'd get them to price match so it would be a pony under a monkey. But point taken.

I shall report you to the RSPCA, Sir.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    There are 75kg riders that kill RS81's and 90 kg rider that won't it depends on how you ride as much as your weight. Some people just kill kit, some people get unlikely. Weight limits are a very rough guide not an absolute.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • wilkij1975
    wilkij1975 Posts: 532
    I was wondering the same thing. I'm a heavy b'stard at around 105kg and looking at wheels at the moment. Can't afford hand built so looking at factory wheels but the weight limits worry me. In a previous try at being a roadey I had som Aksiums with no issues but I was probably 10kg lighter then.
  • ugo.santalucia
    wilkij1975 wrote:
    Can't afford hand built so looking at factory wheels

In the mid range (200-500) prices are similar, in the low range (<200) , factory wheels are a lot cheaper