Shimano Nexus 7

Djd3737
Djd3737 Posts: 82
edited March 2014 in The workshop
Hey,

I recently purchased a Tern Link P7i, that has a Shimano Nexus 7 hub and I am finding the shifting on it dreadful. I have lined up the yellow marks on the hub, in 4th gear, as per instructions, but shifting is still pants.

When pulling away from lights most times I have to ease off pedalling to let the up shifts happen, same with down shifts. Is this a standard experience with this hub, or do I have a faulty one?

Really wish I had gone for a model with standard cassette/derailleur :(

Steve

Comments

• plet
    plet Posts: 34
    I've had similar issues with a Nexus 8. If I was being cynical I'd be tempted to say that Shimano have deliberately created hub gears so terrible that their derailleur business remains safe. I'm a hub gear fan (I have a Sturmey-Archer 3 speed on my Brompton and a Rohloff - both work flawlessly) but never again with a Shimano.

The problem with their design (as I see it) is that the shifting is totally reliant on the cable tension and it is too sensitive. You should check that the cable can move with as little friction as possible. And be very careful to keep the shifting gubbins at the hub clean and free of grime. A good indication that you'll have shifting problems is if the shifting doesn't work "symmetrically", e.g. it'll align correctly for 4th gear when shifting up but not when shifting down.
  • Hello there, first post so be gentle with me!

I have recently purchased a Nexus 8 equipped bike and have now completed around 200 miles. I'm very happy with it so far and haven't experienced the issues you describe. I am only a leisure/pleasure cyclist so perhaps I'm not putting as much torque through the hub as you guys? I do tend to back off a little when shifting also.

The only thing I have noticed is a characteristic where if I am pushing whilst changing up from 4 > 5, after one revolution there is a very slight interruption to the rotation (if that makes sense). This only occurs between 4th and 5th.

I hope the issues you guys have are not a sign of things to come! Can I ask how many miles have you done approximately ?

Cheers

Mike
  • plet
    plet Posts: 34
    Mike, mine has been bad more or less from the start and has done about 2000 miles. Part of my problem, I think has been using drop bars and the jtek bar end shifter. This means that the cable doesn't have quite such a clean run as it would on flat bars. And a filthy winter hasn't helped either.

One positive though, given the amount of crunching and grinding going on the thing is still going so must be reasonably robust.
  • Ahh I see. Mine is a flat bar with the standard Nexus twist shift. I note your comments and will make sure I keep the cable/mech clean and well lubed going forward. Good luck
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    Sturmey Archer now do an 8 speed hub gear, which is probabaly a better bet if starting from scratch, I temnpted to upgrade my 3 speed brompton to one. That sdoesnt help you guys with a nexus already fitted.

Shimano alfine get decent reviews, 8 and 11 speed but they are quite expensive.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • Djd3737
    Djd3737 Posts: 82
    I am now starting to automatically ease off after changing gear, wonder if this will become habit, I will still do it when doing my weekend warrior riding back on the road bike.