Why I returned my Canyon Spectral

lastexit
lastexit Posts: 3
edited March 2014 in MTB general
I recently received my Spectral AL 9.0 after 4 months of waiting. All was well until I started to set up the sag on my front fork as they were 140mm TALAS' rather than 150mm on their website. On asking Canyon was there a mistake I got told that they should be 140mm just as the website stated. Yes they changed the website after I enquired was there a mistake and tried to pass it off that there was nothing wrong. Only when I sent them a screen shot of their website when I discovered there was a different (i.e. with the fork specified as 150mm) did they admit to the mistake. However even now (19th Mar) 2 weeks after I told them of errors on their web site, there are still mistakes for the Spectral AL range. When I spoke to them they stated there was no requirement to fix any issue within set time and they were very busy at this time. Is this the kind of response a company that only deals through their website should have, even forgetting that they have a legal requirement to make sure their website is accurate. At that point I decided to return the bike since they obviously do not care about their customers or fully open when mistakes they make.

Yes Canyon are very good value but is the price too good for a reason?

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    As they are selling the goods, and not merely advertising them, what you receive has to match what is stated on the website. They are bound by the UK trading standard laws which means they very much have to fix issues in a 'reasonable' time.
  • sirichmond
    sirichmond Posts: 250
    I'm confused, which model 9.0 have you got. The EX states a 150mm Revaluation and the SL a 140mm Talas?

http://www.allthegearnoidea.net

Yorkshire & North East MTB
  • pesky_jones
    pesky_jones Posts: 2,890
    edited March 2014
    Have I got it right here or have I missed something - you waited four months for the bike, and your're now returning it, because of problems with the website - not because something is actually wrong with the bike?

Edit: I see now that when you ordered the bike you thought it had 150mm fork, fair enough
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Did it not ride very well with the 140mm fork? Most people wouldn't notice the difference.
  • HardrockRob
    HardrockRob Posts: 230
    OP, if you want 150mm swap it for the SL (which is cheaper). If the website said the EX had a 150mm that is obviously a bit naughty and they should have owned up to an error straight away, but the bike was always a 140mm travel bike, so it is not really a case of them ripping you off.

To come out of the mistake with no bike is a shame.
    2015 Nukeproof Mega TR 275 in raw
  • Neal_
    Neal_ Posts: 477
    On Canyon's Equipment+Geometry tab for the bike it states "Subject to technical modification without notice. Errors and omissions excepted." Up to you whether you count this as a technical modification or an error but from when this model was announced it was pretty clear it was 140 front and rear with the exception of the EX which has a 150 Rev. Regardless of the reason you have 30 days to return the bike and I'm sure it will make someone else happy to get their bike sooner. IMO you're cutting your nose off to spite your face for 10mm of fork travel which hardly effects the bike at all.
  • adamfo
    adamfo Posts: 763
    It's a good job the 2014 spec.Talas 32 is 140mm. The 2013 150mm had to much flex and was dive prone !

BTW. Fox supply OE forks with spacers in some applications. EG. my 2013 Canyon Nerve 7.9 29er has 110mm suspension. The Forks are actually 120mm units with an internal 10mm plastic spacer. Fox don't make 110mm forks. Takes 5 minutes to remove it if desired.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Does the OP want a hand picking up his toys......
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • lastexit
    lastexit Posts: 3
    I was surprised that their website had the forks initially at 150mm because all the reviews around Eurobike last Sept stated it was 140mm apart from the EX model. So when it was 150mm I just thought they had changed the spec when they finalised the bike for sale. I agree the 140mm forks are correct on the 9.0 SL and to be honest no I would not notice any difference between 140 and 150mm. I would have been happy if Canyon had be open and honest about the mistake on their website and demonstrated they actually cared about their customers. i.e. Changed the mistake on all Spectral model as soon as they were aware of it. Is it right that today you can still go on to their website and order the Spectral AL 8.0 when it states the fork as being 150mm. I would say no and it highlights they don't value their customers and as a result I no longer trust them or what to have any dealings with them. Yes it will cost me extra to buy an equivalent spec'd bike but maybe that is what good service and values cost.
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    Brilliant thread, best reason ever to return a bike.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    kojak1.jpg
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    So let me get this straight... You waited 4 months for the bike, it came with 140mm forks instead of 150mm and because of this returned, but you wouldn't have been bothered about it if they changed the website to say it came with a 140mm fork?

That is a very odd to return a bike!
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    Is this a dealer pissed at being undercut?
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    The reviews said it had 140mm
    The website said it had 150mm
    You admit you wouldn't tell the difference between 140mm and 150mm
    It has 140mm
    You sent it back, I imagine at Canyon's cost.

I'm pretty sure no one has died here.
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    Nose, face, cut off, spite, to

Good luck buying a more expensive bike, I do hope you buy direct from an LBS rather than online.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    mcnultycop wrote:
    The reviews said it had 140mm
    The website said it had 150mm
    You admit you wouldn't tell the difference between 140mm and 150mm
    It has 140mm
    You sent it back, I imagine at Canyon's cost.

I'm pretty sure no one has died here.

One or two might have pulled a muscle laughing, maybe.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    10mm is nothing in the grand scheme of things and the OP wouldnt notice it when riding but I think this is more to do with the snotty response he got from Canyon. Would it have killed Canyon to offer him a different fork or a small refund.

When I got my Vitus from Chainreaction it had a 160mm front disc rather than the advertised 180mm I sent them an email and they offered me a new disc or a voucher to the value of a new disc. I took the voucher I was happy and the whole thing took 2 days and 3 emails to sort.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Canyon screwed up and then made it worse. Im not saying I'd have sent it back, but I could fully understand why someone would.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • Angus Young
    stubs wrote:
    but I think this is more to do with the snotty response he got from Canyon. Would it have killed Canyon to offer him a different fork or a small refund.
    benpinnick wrote:
    Canyon screwed up and then made it worse. Im not saying I'd have sent it back, but I could fully understand why someone would.

Really? That qualifies as a "snotty response"? And bear in mind that the OP is, more than likely, over egging it, as is often the way in these cases. And that's not even to mention Canyon's T&Cs. I'm struggling to imagine how the OP gets through the day if his nose is that easily put out of joint. I'm sticking with my first theory. I smell fish.
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    From what I can see, nowhere in the listed specification does it say that the Talas forks on any of the models are 150mm. What the descriptive blurbs however do say is as follows:
    The all-mountain Spectral AL 7.0 features... Balanced suspension from the Fox Float CTD rear shock complete with Boost Valve technology for exceptional downhill performance combines with the travel adjustable 140mm Fox Talas forks

Slightly paraphrased and it is for the AL7.0 not the 9.0SL the OP returned, but I can see no evidence what so ever to tell me that it should come with a 150mm fork. The 9.0 EX however, does come with a 150mm Revelation, but an overall burlier build kit, Monarch plus, X01 etc. I can therefore only assume the OP got his knickers in a twist as he assumed, wrongly it would appear, that the whole range came with 150mm forks. As it turns out the EX looks like a standalone model in regard to the extra 10mm travel...

If that is the case, then I guess the jokes on the OP! :lol:
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    OPs first post on here. Love it when people do this shite.
  • adamfo
    edited March 2014
    On further reflection I think the OP probably is a bike shop shill.

I had a look at a couple of pages from the webarchive (page samples from specific dates in the past) and the forks are listed at 140mm as they are today:

http://www.canyon.com/_en/mountainbikes ... ab-reiter2

The Revelation 27.5 forks are listed at 150mm by the maker

http://www.sram.com/rockshox/products/revelation-rct3
  • t0pc4t
    t0pc4t Posts: 947
    if you click on the fork in the equipment list it does say 150mm so the OP is not mistaken.
    Whether you're a king or a little street sweeper, sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper.

Cube Curve 2009
    Giant Anthem X4

FCN=6
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    I thought canyon had a guy in the uk now to do warranty/service stuff?

if this is the case then the Op wouldn't have had to deal with canyon via the website anyway :?
  • Angus Young
    t0pc4t wrote:
    if you click on the fork in the equipment list it does say 150mm so the OP is not mistaken.

Says 140 when I click on it.
  • adamfo
    t0pc4t wrote:

No it doesn't !

http://www.canyon.com/_en/mountainbikes ... ab-reiter2
  • t0pc4t
    t0pc4t Posts: 947
    it does, still for the 8.0 but it's been changed on the 9.0.

I ought to point out that I ordered my spectral 8.0 this week not knowing you could click on the fork for further details and expecting 140mm because that's what the main blurb and the pinkbike review say.
    Whether you're a king or a little street sweeper, sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper.

Cube Curve 2009
    Giant Anthem X4

FCN=6
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Better send it back if it comes with 150's then!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Mental.
  • adamfo
    lastexit wrote:
    .... I would say no and it highlights they don't value their customers and as a result I no longer trust them or what to have any dealings with them....

Do you own a cricket bat ?

Book a cheap flight to Germany and storm the Canyon HQ wielding it like an axe.
    The Germans don't like it up them :idea: