Hugh Porter replaced at BBC :-(

2»

Comments

• mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    From Brotherton's Management Team page:

"Early folklore tells of a young Simon once riding the National Track Championships in Leicester. His individual Sprint pursuit race was against an athlete called Bretherton. The Bretherton vs Brotherton race used to do the commentator’s “head in” and Simon soon realised that he may be better at talking, rather than competing.

It proved to be the right call as Simon has now established himself as one of the country’s finest thoroughbred commentators. Predominantly known as one of the top tier commentators on BBC MOTD, Simon also works for BT Sport and BBC Five Live (covering World Cup’s, European Final’s and a UEFA Cup Final). Simon’s CV boasts an impressive range with five Olympics, Commonwealth Games, countless Tour de France’s, Boxing World Titles, Formula One and Baseball’s Major League Series.

In 2013 Simon became the BBC TV’s voice of cycling, a fitting role to someone who has covered the last 18 editions of the Tour de France. Simon will now cover all cycling events for the BBC (including Glasgow Commonwealth 2014), indulging his greatest passion, with retired cyclist Sean Kelly even being his sporting hero."

Hugh Porter is a cycling great and a lovely man, but his time had come.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,169
    Simon Brotherton actually did some track racing back in his youth. Good enough to ride the pursuit at the national championships

edit: mroli nipped in ahead of me.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,803
    Any of you having Porter withdrawal symptoms should go to watch the Nationals live this year and no doubt he will be there commentating as he always is at the Abergavenny Festival races. He's done every pro race in the town since I got involved in the sport and plenty of amateur races too (including getting the whole crowd to shout for me when dropped in a crit!).
  • MartinGT
    MartinGT Posts: 475
    About time this happend, he is way past it.
  • phil s
    phil s Posts: 1,128
    Agreed on that point. A bit like doping witch hunters.
    -- Dirk Hofman Motorhomes --
  • And he was on good form in Sochi a few weeks ago.

He was exceptionally good in the short track speedskating, I have to say. He may have called the Koreans and Chinese incorrectly, but he didn't fluff saying "Ooooh and Elise Christie has been disqualified!" Sadly, he got a lot of practice at this last bit.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,399
    Fancy a quick Preview - Boardman and Brotherton are currently commentating on the Sport Relief elimination race...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver
    Freddie Flintoff's got a talent for this...

That was genuinely one of the best Track Cycling events I ve ever seen!
    - @ddraver
  • Pross
    ddraver wrote:
    Freddie Flintoff's got a talent for this...

That was genuinely one of the best Track Cycling events I ve ever seen!

Not sure I'd want to share a track with him and pretty sure he'd have been DQd in a real race!
  • ddraver
    Ha ha

I have to say i though Brotherton/Boardman were actually very good together...I'd be happy with them as a pairing...
    - @ddraver
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    ddraver wrote:
    Ha ha

I have to say i though Brotherton/Boardman were actually very good together...I'd be happy with them as a pairing...

Agreed. Just about the right amount of everything from both of them...if that makes sense.
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • ddraver
    Ey up more track cycling....

Go on the Skelton!
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver
    Tell you what that Amy Williams is petty handy too....
    - @ddraver
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,169
    In the men's race I want to know how four of them beat known doper Richard Bacon. I demand data!
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Pross
    RichN95 wrote:
    In the men's race I want to know how four of them beat known doper Richard Bacon. I demand data!

Three of them were in the entertainment business and the other a sportsman. They're all at it so it doesn't make any difference. You should just enjoy the spectacle.
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    A good move by the beeb. I thought HP was pretty terrible.

I think you can excuse inaccuracies and mistakes and dubious statements (Murray Walker, Liggett et al) if they are basically good commentators and 'capture the moment' well. But HP was just shouty and amateurish to my ears.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    maddog 2 wrote:
    A good move by the beeb. I thought HP was pretty terrible.

I think you can excuse inaccuracies and mistakes and dubious statements (Murray Walker, Liggett et al) if they are basically good commentators and 'capture the moment' well. But HP was just shouty and amateurish to my ears.

common on the guy is a 112.
This discussion has been closed.