Brand new rear wheel not centred in drop outs?

garyk72
garyk72 Posts: 76
edited March 2014 in Workshop
I have just fitted a set of brand new campag Zonda clinchers to my bike and for some reason the rear wheel will only centre in the drop outs when I position it there myself? If I put weight on the saddle and do up the QR one of the brake pads rubs on the brake track of the wheel. The brakes are Ultegra 6700 and have been working perfectly. My fulcrum 7's that I removed would centre correctly every time previously and the Zonda's are perfectly true. Does anyone have any ideas about this issue? It's driving me nuts!

Cheers
G

Comments

• pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,131
    You may have dislodged the caliper slightly when fitting the wheels. Just adjust the brake caliper. You will see a hexagonal/square nut on the shaft of the brake caliper forward of the mounting point. Making sure the allen key tightening nut is not loose, use a spanner on the nut to adjust the caliper so that it is central.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    +1 Ignore the brake caliper; is the wheel central with respect to the chainstays and seatstays? If yes, you just need to reposition the caliper. If no, then either the wheel is defective or the frame / dropouts are.
  • flip03
    flip03 Posts: 2
    Just double check that the springs for the QR lever are both small end towards the centre of the bike. If they point the other way the spring ends up going over the end of the axle and puts wheel alignment out.
  • garyk72
    garyk72 Posts: 76
    Cheers for the advice guys, it was a pushed over brake caliper after all. What a plum!!

Cheers
    G
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,131
    garyk72 wrote:
    Cheers for the advice guys, it was a pushed over brake caliper after all. What a plum!!

Cheers
    G

Pinarello001 1 - keef66 0 :D
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    garyk72 wrote:

Cheers
    G

Pinarello001 1 - keef66 0 :D

I got there as soon as I could!