Full Suspension vs Hardtail..

Dawesy92
Dawesy92 Posts: 606
edited March 2014 in MTB buying advice
I know this is an age old argument, but im not sure what to do with mine.. I really like the udea of a full sus but not sure if I would benefit from one... i ride all sorts from commutes to work using roads and trails red routes at trail centers and other random rides inbetween, with a budget of about £1500 can maybe stretch a little more, what woukd people recconend?? I really like the look of the titus el guarpo but not sure if thats a littke excessive.... help me...

Comments

• Bishbosh10
    Bishbosh10 Posts: 268
    Hire one at a trail centre and see if you like it.

Or go to Paul's Cycles website and bag a bargain.

Or keep riding your hard tail.

Or......
    2011 Giant Trance Ltd, 2016 Revs, XT bits etc.
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    Dawesy92 wrote:
    I know this is an age old argument, but I'm not sure what to do with mine. . .

As all of the other threads will have said, try both, see what you like best. There are places you can hire bikes, trail centres often have them.
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    The Titus will be a bit of a tank for commuting.
    A nice light xc hardtail or full sus bike would do the job
  • Dawesy92
    The Titus will be a bit of a tank for commuting.
    A nice light xc hardtail or full sus bike would do the job

I was wondering if the titus would be a little much haha, what sort of full sus bikes would you recommend me to look at? Maybe the Rockrider 9.1? Or something along those lines?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    For an FS you definitely want an XC/trail bike for the use you indicate, so the Rockrider or one of the Boardman's, or look on PaulsCycles to see what bargains they have.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • russyh
    russyh Posts: 1,375
    It completely depends on what type of riding you want to be doing. That El Guarpo looks like decent value, even with its groupset (IMO) but it would be hard work commuting. having said that if it were me i would buy a £100 ebay special for commuting, something like a retro rigid steel marin (i bought one ages ago as a throw back to my teens) and fit a set of slicks to it. You also wouldn't have to worry about leaving your pride and joy locked up at work. Then you can buy the right bike for your riding style.

personally i love my full susser, it ticks all my boxes and more. But i'm still considering building a really lightweight 29er hard tail for XC riding/racing.....Just need to work out where to hide it or keep it (wife has taken an interest in my bike collection and unfortunately can count)
  • Dawesy92
    Russyh wrote:
    It completely depends on what type of riding you want to be doing. That El Guarpo looks like decent value, even with its groupset (IMO) but it would be hard work commuting. having said that if it were me i would buy a £100 ebay special for commuting, something like a retro rigid steel marin (i bought one ages ago as a throw back to my teens) and fit a set of slicks to it. You also wouldn't have to worry about leaving your pride and joy locked up at work. Then you can buy the right bike for your riding style.

personally i love my full susser, it ticks all my boxes and more. But i'm still considering building a really lightweight 29er hard tail for XC riding/racing.....Just need to work out where to hide it or keep it (wife has taken an interest in my bike collection and unfortunately can count)

Haha, dont have to worry about locking it up at work as it next to my machine all day.. along with the other guys who bike it to work aswell! :)

I think I'll just have to invest some time in searching around seeing what I think looks good and will do the job! :)
  • chrisw333
    chrisw333 Posts: 695
    Giant Trance sounds up your street - check out Pauls Cycles. The 2013 X2 should be on budget (if any left)

Very capable at trail centers and over rough stuff but still a quick nimble easy pedaling bike for day to day use. I went from a HT to the trance and don't have any issues with it.
  • rockmonkeysc
    I would go for the Giant Anthem X29. You can probably get a 2013 model pretty cheap.
  • Dawesy92
    Other bike I look at at dinner was the Commencal Mega Sl 4, on chain reactions they are going for just under £1500, all seems good apart from the brakes but they're easy to swap over.. what peoples opinions on them?? I think they look cool! :)
  • rockmonkeysc
    I guess you mean Meta Sl?
    Frames made of cheese. Not very good cheese.
  • Dawesy92
    Yeah I did.. ahh well guess it looks better than it is...