Giant Defy Mudguards Snapped

einriba
einriba Posts: 319
edited April 2014 in Workshop
So my guards have snapped tonight! Cut my ride short......
It's the giant defy specific guards and they've snapped on the part that connects to the brake....a complete break! Very clean....

Has anyone had this and managed to repair? They're only 6 weeks old as well and covered about 230 miles. rubbish
Getting up is the second hardest thing in the morning

Comments

• Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    einriba wrote:
    It's the giant defy specific guards and they've snapped on the part that connects to the brake....a complete break! Very clean....

Has anyone had this and managed to repair? They're only 6 weeks old as well and covered about 230 miles. rubbish
    Do you mean the actual guard? If so, I think it's relatively common, even with sks mudguards. Six weeks is a bit short though. Have you tried a warranty replacement?
  • einriba
    Garry H wrote:

Hi no, it's the metal "L" shaped bracket that the brake bolt goes through to secure the guards. It's sheared clean off so it's now an "I" and a "_"....totally detached!

From the photo below, it's the bit that the brake would go through........

mHfBt42e83pGFg-Lep7K4Jw.jpg
  • topdude
    topdude Posts: 1,557
    Repair it with a right angled bracket riveted or bolted on, it will be stronger than the original :D
    He is not the messiah, he is a very naughty boy !!
  • einriba
    topdude wrote:
    Repair it with a right angled bracket riveted or bolted on, it will be stronger than the original :D

I thought that but it's such a close clearance not sure it will rub the tyre. I'll check the clearance when I get home, but I like your thinking
  • I ended up cable tieing mine in place... The gap between the rear stay and the bracket is too far and creates a lot of flex. Hard to believe these have been properly tested By giant. They are pump! :?
  • topcattim
    topcattim Posts: 766
    Mine broke after about 150 miles max. I went back to the shop and they accepted, no fuss, that it was a warranty issue, as of course they should. They've contacted Giant and ordered a replacement set, but that was 3 or 4 weeks ago now, and they are still awaiting a delivery (there were none in the UK apparently). By the time they arrive, the rain will have stopped <<he said optimistically>>