Anyone commute from Loughton?

Jamie1966
Jamie1966 Posts: 38
edited March 2014 in Commuting chat
Just got myself a bike and i'm looking to commute from Loughton to St Pauls which is roughly 15 miles, Still cant work out if i can do it or not and wether i am mental !!!

Anyway does anyone on here live Loughton or near and commute the same sort of distance .

Comments

• jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926
    Yes, I live between Loughton and Buckhurst hill and commute every day. It's around 12 miles into the city. I've been doing it for the last 2 years, although had been commuting and cycling for 2/3 years before that.

It all really depends on your fitness? I'd say set off early one day (before 7.40 is best as there's a little less traffic) and just take it steady and see how it goes, and build it up from there.

If you need help with a route etc just shout.
  • Jamie1966
    Thats great i would love some help and advice, With my job i can actually do my own hours so i start at 7:30am so i am happy to leave home at about 6am

My fitness is poor tbh shouldn't take to long to build it up i am 21 ! I do plan on going on some rides round the area and see how i get on.

The whole idea is that i just fed up on paying £219 a month on poxy trains

How do you find the route into London? Looks prity straight forward when i have looked on maps but got bit confused and lost when i reached the North Circular.
  • jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926
    You'll miss the traffic then and should have clear roads, which is a plus as traffic is usually a pain later on.

I tend to head straight on from the North Circ down through Whipps Cross roundabout on the Lea Bridge Road to Knott's Green and cut down Leyton Green Road to the Leyton High Road. I then follow that all the way down to Stratford and take CS2/A11 all the way into the city.

http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/375621073

You could continue down Lea Bridge Road to Clapton, and then through Hackey and through Shoreditch. I haven't done that route for a year or so, buts its just personal preference.

The route is ok. Its not great, as there are a lot of lights, and pedestrians and cars around Lea Bridge road/Leyton tend to mean you need to keep your wits about you. You tend to get a head wind on the way in (which other than the climb out of Loughton, and a few lumps is down hill to Stratford and then flat) and tailwind to push you up the gentle gradient from Leyton back to Buckhurst hill.
  • jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    Three main routes, depending on how you want to cross the lea. A503, A104, or the A11. (I guess depending on where you live, you can also take the Lea Valley road and then down the canal, which would be the slowest.)
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • Jamie1966
    Thanks for the replies, This is quite new to me i dont drive and i am terrible with maps and travelling around :oops:

I think once i have done the journey once or twice i will be fine

Here is the route google maps is giving me...

87bf762c928510a062d8e2fa4c826452.jpg
  • jds_1981
    I think if that's the general route you want to take, after crossing the lea bridge road you'd want to go down Pembury Rd, Dalson Lane, the A10, turn right to Old Street (where Hackney Road joins), then left down Goswell road.
    The route displayed there is down the canal which although a nice cycle will probably add 10/15 mins to your journey. If you do want to cycle along the canal, you may as well go straight to it westbound from Loughton.
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • guinea
    guinea Posts: 1,177
    I do a similar daily commute, from Epping to Angel. Mine is 17 or so miles each way.

I follow Epping New Road until Whipps Cross, head down Lea Bridge Road and then negotiate Lower Clapton Road, Pembury Road and make your way to Kingsland Road. I go straight on here, but you'll want to head left/south down Kinsland Road until you get closer.

To be clear on the fitness thing. You don't have to be either super fit or mental to do this commute. I am a 100kg BMI 29+ chunker and I do it every day in just over an hour.

It only took me four weeks from not cycling in months to doing it every day, so there's no excuse. Especially when I am nearly double your age :)
  • Jamie1966
    Thanks for that Guinea, I guess you are right just need to do it that first time then i'm sure i will be ok :)

Is google maps the best app to use? I would like once that i can follow and you can actually see yourself moving on the app, If that makes sense!
  • BobMcbob
    BobMcbob Posts: 104
    I do Epping - The Wharf on most days - tend to leave around 6:30 to beat the traffic in the mornings.

It's not a bad run in at all - half as many traffic lights as my former commute from Hornchurch, despite the longer route. I tend to alternate between the new road, the A121 or the A113 depending on the weather/traffic. I generally avoid Whipps Cross & Green Man by cutting through Snaresbrook and taking the A114.
  • guinea
    guinea Posts: 1,177
    Jamie1966 wrote:
    Is google maps the best app to use? I would like once that i can follow and you can actually see yourself moving on the app, If that makes sense!

If you're thinking about following a map on a phone, then just make sure you've got a case and a mount that means you can follow it OK. You'll only use it a couple of times before you know the way.

Google maps is fine, but most folks use a dedicated Garmin type device for mapping/navigation. Ride it on a Saturday morning in the daylight to get used to the route in quiet traffic and maybe you'll need nothing when it comes to doing it for real.
  • Jamie1966
    Just noticed i could change the route on google maps, would this be an easier journey?

85D1CFF8-117F-43DC-8616-44EB72C55017.png
  • jds_1981
    That would work fine - will probably be a bit busy at the end. Be careful at the Bow roundabout.
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • Jamie1966
    Ok looks like i will take that option, I'm guessing along most of this journey there is actually pavement.. Would be better if its all lol

As it would be nice to have that knowing if at bits i'm not sure about i cant jump off and walk on pavement etc

I got an email today and my bike has been dispatched, Fingers crossed i should get it tomorrow!!
  • jack_ammo
    jack_ammo Posts: 69
    Jamie1966 wrote:
    Just noticed i could change the route on google maps, would this be an easier journey?

85D1CFF8-117F-43DC-8616-44EB72C55017.png

I use this route in my commute from Woodford Green to Stratford, you'll enjoy it especially if you'll start at 0600.
  • Jamie1966
    Got my bike today and had a small ride on it and o how much i enjoyed it, So tempted if i am brave enough to ride up to St Pauls on Sunday morning!
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    There must be loads commuting from Loughton or they'd never have bothered to build the tube line.
    Faster than a tent.......