Velocast PayPerView Review

ddraver
ddraver Posts: 26,391
edited March 2014 in Pro race
So as Argyll pointed out the Velocast has now gone full Murdoch on us and gone behind a paywall. As a long time listener I'm a tad upset but when I have previously paid for their content (the last TdF) I had to say I was left fairly unmoved and so to be honest I'm not feeling the need to fork out 8 squids a month for stuff that Humans invent do for free and often, to be honest, better.

If any of you have bought the package can you let us know what you think of it? Is the content any different now or is it much the same?

Thanks all
We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
- @ddraver

Comments

• argyllflyer
    argyllflyer Posts: 893
    edited March 2014
    I subscribed to the two grand tours they did in 2012 and the full package last year. From my own personal perspective, I found the daily shows occasionally missable if it was a dull stage. The Tour de Suisse coverage was a bit of a miss as it wasn't shown in the UK and I got more out of hearing chat about races I'd seen. The classics audio coverage was I felt unessential and easily covered in the weekly show.

The weekly show itself was good though, even after the switch to being sponsored by Eurosport. I really enjoyed the honesty the paywall afforded them on the Vuelta daily shows when discussing Horner. But there were a few Vuelta shows I didn't get around to hearing and during the Giro, coming in from work to watch the live coverage on Sky+, and whatever race was alongside it, to fit in the daily show was pushing it. Add in the price hike...

Wish them well but I'm now an ex-listener sadly. Will really miss the weekly show but not enough to buy it with the rest I'm afraid.
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,560
    Does this mean that the weekly Eurosport free ones have gone as well? I just logged in and there appeared to be a TA themed one, but didn't listen.

If I'd known the direction that they were heading in I would have taken advantage of the offers that they've been trailing for several months. I might try them for a couple of months anyway to see how they've stepped up their game.

Fully recognise that Humans Invent offer a more knowledgeable output, but I keep thinking that Velocast has slicker production, makes me chuckle more often and Birnie's voice is really annoying.
  • argyllflyer
    argyllflyer Posts: 893
    dish_dash wrote:
    Does this mean that the weekly Eurosport free ones have gone as well? I just logged in and there appeared to be a TA themed one, but didn't listen.

The weekly show ceased to be sponsored by Eurosport a few months ago, and stops being free next week I believe.
  • ddraver
    according to the website yes (velocast.cc). it's now GBP 8 for everything...

I thought they were keeping the weekly shows too, but like you when they start doing that stuff I usually switch off. I hope they keep the Tech shows going for free though...
    - @ddraver
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,699
    I'd expect other podcasts to become pay per listen eventually.
  • ddraver
    Yeah, I hope youre wrong but kinda know youre right...
    - @ddraver