15mm throught axle forks

BckGodofhell
BckGodofhell Posts: 29
edited May 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Ok hear goes. I have a set of fox 32 with 15mm throught axle. My wheel hub is a sram x9 with a 9mm qr.
Is there a way/convertor i can get to save me buying a new hub
Thanks

Comments

• jimothy78
    jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
    According to the SRAM spare parts catalogue (page 62) the hub body is the same for all three variants (9mmQR, 15mm thru and 20mm thru), they just use different axle assemblies, which appear to be interchangable.

The part you would need is 11.2015.026.000, but you may need to contact a SRAM dealer to see if they can order one in for you, as I can only find it stocked in US stores.
  • Thanks ive bin lookn at all type of crazy stuff tryn to figer it out. Never thought of lookn at sram lol
  • Does anyone have a good Sram dealer they would recomend
  • jimothy78
    Find your nearest here: http://www.sram.com/find-dealer/

Alternatively, if you're looking for spares online then www.petracycles.co.uk tend to stock a lot of stuff that you don't seem to be able to get from anywhere else in the UK without ordering it in. Be aware though, that delivery and paypal charges are all extra on top of their listed prices.
  • Fisher leisure are uk suppliers but can't deal directly so have to go via a bike shop. Have used Petra and they are great.
  • Ok thanks ill try them
  • jimothy78 wrote:
    According to the SRAM spare parts catalogue (page 62) the hub body is the same for all three variants (9mmQR, 15mm thru and 20mm thru), they just use different axle assemblies, which appear to be interchangable.

The part you would need is 11.2015.026.000, but you may need to contact a SRAM dealer to see if they can order one in for you, as I can only find it stocked in US stores.
    ok as i have stripped the axle and looked at the sram parts it would apper that i have the same setup as the x7 on page 61 top pic.
  • jimothy78
    In that case it looks like you have an older version of the x9 (the V2), it's hard to be sure from the information shown if it will accept the same replacement axles as the other models or whether it's only compatible with 9mm. A dealer may be able to contact SRAM directly to find out.

It may well turn out that the only way to utilise that fork is to buy a new wheel (or have the existing one rebuilt with a new hub), and therefore it may prove more cost effective to simply sell the forks and buy some that accept a 9mm qr instead.
  • Ok how on earth do i acculy get the axle out the hub only one cap un screwed?
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Pull
  • jimothy78
    Ok how on earth do i acculy get the axle out the hub only one cap un screwed?
    Pull

^Ignore this. (Chunkers - he has a screw-on endcap still in place)

If you're right, and the layout of the pieces is the same as the picture of the X7 as you indicated, then having removed one endcap, you should be able to "drift" out the opposite side by tapping the axle through the hub, which will take the endcap, seal and bearing with it. Then you should be able to (carefully) clamp the axle in such a way that you can get more purchase and unscrew the second endcap and remove the bearing and seal from that second end.

Finally, if you then re-insert the axle, it will allow you to drift out the reamining bearing (from the side of the hub where you've already removed the endcap).

That will leave you with an empty hub shell and axle, and let you clean and regrease the parts, but it's not going to help identify possible replacment parts unless you can take accurate measurements of the hub shell internals and compare these with those of the "standard" X9 hub.
  • Yeh just as i was lookn at it i couldnt work out how the came apart. Didnt want to hit it incase i broke it lol
  • Ok had another thought can u get convertors that would insert in to the 15mm fork to take them down to 9 mm qr?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Ok had another thought can u get convertors that would insert in to the 15mm fork to take them down to 9 mm qr?
    Nope.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Ok. Thanks