Headset help

Anonymous
Anonymous Posts: 79,667
edited March 2014 in Workshop
I have an odd headset in that the top half is a cartridge and the bottom is about 40 tiny bearings.

I tried to DIY replacement bearings and looked into swapping the bottom out for a cartridge, but the crown race on the fork doesn't seem to fit a cartridge type bearing, as it wont go back in all the way.

My question is: does anyone recognise what I am talking about, and if so, can I get these 40 tiny bearings on a race so I can just slot it in, rather than feeding them in one by one. I have no idea how many I need - i've now also lost a load of them!

oh, its 1 1/8inch, non tapered. Don't really want to go down a new fork route to fit a cartridge one.

Thanks!

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    You need a retainer!
    left the forum March 2023
  • Anonymous
    Can you elaborate please ugo?
  • ugo.santalucia
    A balls retainer... something like this but in your size (this is for old BB)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/38030316 ... =95&ff19=0
  • Anonymous
    except the bearings are much smaller, maybe 1/2mm each and there are 40 (at least!) of them.
  • ugo.santalucia
    coriordan wrote:
    except the bearings are much smaller, maybe 1/2mm each and there are 40 (at least!) of them.

Maybe is vague and 1/2 of a mm is impossible, that would be as big as medium sized grains of sand, you need to measure them with a Vernier... Campagnolo makes balls with retainers but they have a precise size to fit their races... 3/16th and 5/32 of an inch
  • Anonymous
    At a guess I would say they are 1mm, but I don't have a set of verniers.
  • ugo.santalucia
    WIth bearings it's all about having the right size... if they were 1 mm each, you would need well more than 40 to fill the race... a quick calculation lead me to believe you'd need around 90... slo most likely they are around 2 mm each... but you still need the correct size, otherwise it won't work... :roll:
  • Anonymous
    They are nearer 1 than 2mm, hence why I said there are around 40 of them. Oddly the top is a cartridge and the bottom are ball bearings

What's annoying is that the existing setup won't allow a cartridge to go in the bottom as the bottom of the fork seems to have a race built in to hold the ball bearings (like a cone on a hub) so if I try and sit a cartridge bearing, it doesn't sit flush.
  • ugo.santalucia
    I get it and I am telling you to fill a race of around 1 and 1/8 you need about 90 1 mm balls... so it's nearer 2 mm if you have around 40.
    Get a Vernier or get a new headset
  • dgunthor
    dgunthor Posts: 644
    you can fit loose replacement balls - just apply grease first into the cup on the frame, apply the balls and they will stick in the grease, then put the fork in.

if you want to fit a cartridge bearing then buy a 1 1/8 headset and it will come with a fork crown race that suits the new bearing - remove the old one from the fork and fit the new one.

if you're not sure about any of this, just take it to your LBS who should be able to sort it no problem - they might even have a cartridge bearing that fits your existing setup
  • dgunthor
    dgunthor Posts: 644
    PS the loose bearings tend to be standard sizes
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    1mm bearings? Are you sure? They must look like granulated sugar!
  • Anonymous
    I am trying to find a ruler, but I reckon they must be in the region of 1-2mm. I would guess there are 40 or so for just the bottom race.
  • buckmulligan
    buckmulligan Posts: 1,031
    I think we've established that guessing isn't going to get you very far...
  • Anonymous
    Looks like 5/32 from a quick google, but will try and measure them.

What I was surprised is that they were not presented like this:
    http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_210157

But instead were just loads of the buggers totally loose, so have now lost a load on the floor.
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    I get it and I am telling you to fill a race of around 1 and 1/8 you need about 90 1 mm balls... so it's nearer 2 mm if you have around 40.
    Get a Vernier or get a new headset

Ugo.santalucia, I think you have the patience of a saint and you must have a PhD in being helpful.
  • Anonymous
    So the bearings were this size and I managed to get a load from the LBS. Replaced them all without too much hassle with loads of grease.

13304731063_9799476889.jpg

Now for some reason I can't tension it. Either it's really loose and this morning the front wheel was juddering like hell under braking, but if I tighten the top cap then it becomes so stiff I can barely turn the bars, with no sweet stop in between
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    coriordan wrote:
    So the bearings were this size and I managed to get a load from the LBS. Replaced them all without too much hassle with loads of grease.

Now for some reason I can't tension it. Either it's really loose and this morning the front wheel was juddering like hell under braking, but if I tighten the top cap then it becomes so stiff I can barely turn the bars, with no sweet stop in between

Looks like 1/8" bearings - what size did you replace them with?
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • Anonymous
    the same size, surprisingly
  • mercia_man
    mercia_man Posts: 1,431
    coriordan wrote:

It may be you have squeezed in too many balls so it won't run freely when tightened up correctly. There should be a gap between the loose balls when you stick them in the grease. They shouldn't be hard up against each other. You could try taking just one ball out and trying to adjust again.
  • ugo.santalucia
    Loose balls will give you problems, that's a fact of life. :wink:
    I'm tempted to suggest a new headset, sometimes this bonus needs to be spent! Remember the damn thing is saving you thousands in Oyster card and every now and again you need to feed a few pounds to keep it going
  • Anonymous
    Don't think there are too many bearings in there, as I did as suggested above - fill it up then remove a couple.

To be honest I think you are right that it needs replacing, but I was really hoping to be able to sort it myself.

Also frustratingly, the expander star nut thingy won't punch through the hole at the bottom of the steerer tube as the hole is too small. I think it's going to the LBS on Monday.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    If it's a steel steerer then all you need is more brute force / bigger tools to dislodge the star nut. Or just leave it in there and tap in a new one.

Is it possible the bearings that fell out were the result of an earlier DIY replacement and are the wrong size, so the new ones are also too small?
  • Anonymous
    Bearings used to be perfect and it was silky smooth. I brought an old one in and asked the guy to get me a load more the same size. When I compared them, they were identical.

The headset itself is a non-threaded, so no star nut on this one. Ideally I'd like to have someone else have a look at it as I can't be bothered any more, and let me know exactly what is going wrong. It's damn hard to do without a bike stand!
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    coriordan wrote:
    When I compared them, they were identical.

How did you compare them - vernier caliper? 1/8" is very close to 3mm but its not the same.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • Anonymous
    Ah. I do still have some of the originals and new ones kicking around so can give it a try. Not sure I am in the market for a set of vernier calipers though.
  • You can grab a set on ebay for £7 or go to your LBS and use their Park bearing ruler which will show you what size they are.
  • Spectre
    Spectre Posts: 16
    Those look like 1/8th and are fairly standard.
    Is there any chance the bearing race is worn out and the new bearings are sitting in pits and grooves when you tighten the headset?