giant defy 5 ... or 4?

jsabina
jsabina Posts: 5
edited March 2014 in Road beginners
Hi everybody,
I am absolutely new to road cycling.
I am buying the bike as first thing for commuting.
Everybody suggested me a hybrid, but I love road bikes and as I started running I am planning to join some "duathlon" events here.. not serious, but could be good fun :)

So as I don't have a lot of money to spend I've been oriented to a Giant Defy 5 - 625 eur.
I am 177cm and I tried the M, looks fine the seller said.

I am absolutely unsure if I should spend 120eur more for the Defy 4 as it has carbon fork and something else better?

To be honest this is really my first serious bike, I am not sure how much I will use it apart from commuting 15km but it would be my only bike for a long while.

Any suggestion?

Thanks

Comments

• ForumNewbie
    ForumNewbie Posts: 1,664
    If you can afford it, go for the one with the carbon fork as you will get less road vibration through the handlebars.
  • jsabina
    Thanks,
    let's see if I can, not sure yet.. 120 euro.. mmh..

are both good bikes anyway for the beginning?
  • Schoie81
    Schoie81 Posts: 749
    I had this same choice last summer when I bought my first road bike. Couldn't get up to the Defy 4 so I bought the defy 5. I've not ridden the 4, so can't comment on the differences, but have clocked over 1,000miles on my Defy 5 and I love it. And regarding frame size, i'm 178cm tall and mine is the M, so that is probably the right one for you. Let us know which one you go for and either way, I hope you enjoy it!!
    "I look pretty young, but I'm just back-dated"
  • jsabina
    Thanks,
    so it's not that terrible for the vibration?
    I am absolutely new to road bikes so I don't want to spend a fortune but I want to take the right choice!
    thanks!
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    To reduce vibration you can just lower your front tyre pressure or fit wider tyres.
  • Schoie81
    jsabina - I've never ridden a bike with carbon forks so I can't tell you how big a difference they make in terms of vibration - I'm sure there must be a benefit otherwise there'd be no point. That said, I regularly do 20-40miles rides and I don't find I have problems caused by vibration.

One thing that I would say is that my Defy 5 came with Shimano 2300 gear shifters which have a thumb shifter. This is the only thing I regret my bike having. Don't get me wrong, its not a big issue, and I've had no problems with the 2300s. Its fine when riding on the hoods, but the thumb shifter makes it pretty difficult to change gear whilst riding on the drops. I don't know if the 2014 version of either Defy 4 or 5 has the thumbs shifters but if the 4 doesn't and the 5 does, then that would be worth thinking about if I was you.

I was really nervous about moving from mountain bike to road bike, but I love my Defy and can't get enough of it. I've hurt my wrist at the moment so can't ride and its driving me crazy!!
  • macleod113
    macleod113 Posts: 560
    Remember you will have to fork out for Helmet, clothing, shoes and pedals too maybe so make sure you factor these into your choice. it may be worth getting the more expensive bike if it has better componentry or even if you just like the look of it more. if you are gettign it from your local bike shop, see if they will let you test ride and you can make a decision based on your feeling on the bike.
    Cube Cross 2016
    Willier GTR 2014
  • jsabina
    Thanks a lot for all the answers.
    I've decided for the defy 5.
    I like it better and it's really my first serious bike, I don't know how much I will use it so I don't think the only carbon fork will be a huge difference for me.
    I have ordered also helmet, gloves, pump, lock, mudguards
    Now waiting that everything is ready!!
  • Schoie81
    jsabina wrote:
    Thanks a lot for all the answers.
    I've decided for the defy 5.
    I like it better and it's really my first serious bike, I don't know how much I will use it so I don't think the only carbon fork will be a huge difference for me.
    I have ordered also helmet, gloves, pump, lock, mudguards
    Now waiting that everything is ready!!

Excellent!! It'll seem a long wait now until it arrives!!