bottom bracket upgrade

keaty
keaty Posts: 20
edited March 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi I have a Boardman 650b 2014, the bottom bracket has packed up, what size would fit and recommendations do you have ?

Comments

• keaty wrote:
    Hi I have a Boardman 650b 2014, the bottom bracket has packed up, what size would fit and recommendations do you have ?

speak to a dealer they will advise what will fit.

What budget do you have ?

Depends on what the bike can take ie BB30 etc and then if you're also looking to replace your cranks.
  • keaty
    Well just something that would be stronger than the original one, I have £40 max.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    So what type of BB is in there now?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • keaty
    Its a FSA power drive
  • The Rookie
    That is FSA's own design, so you can only swap for something else from FSA.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • keaty
    So that means I can only swap out for a new power drive :x as the next upgrade is a platinum which is a Isis. So would a shamanio hallowtech 2 chainset be a better option? Would this just be as simple as new crank and BB and would it fit ?
  • The Rookie
    Yes you could change crankset, Shimano hollowtech2 are a great option - select to price, beware you'll need the BB shell faced though - cost £10-20 at your LBS
  • bobbygloss
    bobbygloss Posts: 317
    keaty wrote:
    If it's a 2014, take it back to where you bought it and see if they will replace it for you.