Saddle purchase problem

FentiBiker
FentiBiker Posts: 4
edited March 2014 in Road buying advice
Hello to everyone on Bikeradar! :D

I am in need of some purchasing advice... I am in the process of choosing a new saddle, by using the "test saddle scheme" at my local bike shop, where you pay a small amount to take home and ride "test saddles".

Having picked the Selle Italia SLR kit carbonio, I was surprised that the dealer suggested to purchase a new SLR at its regular price OR to purchase the actual test saddle I had tried for half the price.

The dealer says it has only been tested three times, and the saddle does indeed seem to be in very good condition even though I haven't taken a magnifying glass to it. This seems to be a very good deal, but a bit too good to be true.

Is this a common practice? What are your thoughts?
What makes me doubt is the fact these test saddles have "not for resale" written on them, and there is also the risk of micro-cracks in the carbon rails I suppose.

Thanks in advance for your help,

Owen

Comments

• navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,851
    You have the saddle, inspect it, if it is OK and fits your bum then buy it.

Is it normal - perhaps that model is due for replacement and they are likely to be left with a sample which is useless for future sales.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    You might want to ask where you'd stand with regards to warranty if the thing were to fail at some point in the future. Doubt the manufacturer would cover it since it's clearly marked not for retail sale, but if the bike shop will cover it, what's not to like about a half price saddle?
  • animal72
    animal72 Posts: 251
    Or, as you paid to use the test saddle and you're concerned about buying it, you buy a new one from eBay or another retailer who will offer you a discount from RRP.

Me, I'd inspect the demo and if good, buy that.
    Condor Super Acciaio, Record, Deda, Pacentis.
    Curtis 853 Handbuilt MTB, XTR, DT Swiss and lots of Hope.
    Genesis Datum Gravel Bike, Pacentis (again).
    Genesis Equilibrium Disc, 105 & H-Plus-Son.

Mostly Steel.
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    As a test saddle, the retailer may have obtained it at little or no cost hence ability to offer it to you at a knock down price. Give it a good look over, confirm that a warranty will be provided and, if it fits you, buy it quick!

Peter
  • Thanks for the kind and helpful replies, guys.
    It seems it is a good deal then.

I apologise for having taken so long to reply!
    My internet connexion went down just a few hours after I posted!

Cheers,

Owen