My Fox forks again

davidappleton
davidappleton Posts: 5
edited March 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi.

I originally had issues with my Fox Float 32 forks as outlined here…
http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=10004&t=12936354&p=18487479&hilit=Fox+Float+32#p18484788

Anyway, they were returned from Wheelies having been serviced by Mojo. They came back with two centre punch marks on the damper top cap which apparently meant that they were fitted with the updated 2014 damper rather than the dodgy 2013 one.

After a bit of fiddling I got them working and for a good while they performed well. However, after a few months the climb setting started to fade a little and then after a while it would come back. Being new to Fox forks I thought that this was one its little quirks and that after a few pumps, the pressure would return. The problem is that this has been getting worse and worse and I’m now at the point where the climb mode behaves more like what trail should, trail behaves like descend did and descend is now super loose.

This morning I had a look at the bottom of the forks and noticed that there appears to be the marks of a small oil leak coming out of the left hand side (as you sit on the bike) beside the skewers. I have no idea how long it’s been like this, but it makes sense to me that potentially if there is oil leaking out of the fork then it could easily have the impact as described above?

So here’s the question for anyone with more experience than me. Does this sound like a change of oil and seals could solve my problem (following Fox’s recommended service schedule it is due for an oil change), or is this likely to be another trip back to Wheelies under warranty?

Before I saw the oil leak this morning, I was prepared to start another saga with Wheelies, but if a change of oil and seals is the problem, then I'm more than happy to do this myself.

Thanks in advance of any responses.

Dave.

Comments

• You don't think the oil leak is the whole problem then?

TBH, I was trying to avoid sending it back as it was such agro last time and took an age to get the bike back.

Having said that, the RRP on that fork is the best part of £600 and I want to know that there isn't anything fundamentally wrong with them before the warranty runs out. If only I could have bought the damn thing from a local shop rather than on-line!

:roll:
  • ricardo_smooth
    ricardo_smooth Posts: 1,281
    best way is to deal with Mojo direct. They will deal with you if you have proof of purchase and they'll have a record of the warranty work. Cut out the middle man
  • Dirtydog11
    Dirtydog11 Posts: 1,621
    Leak needs fixing however it's not the cause of your damper issue.

The left hand leg contains only the air spring.

Send them back!
  • Thanks for the responses.

I'll get on to them both today and try to get something sorted out.

All the best,
    Dave.