Yorkshire Dales - routes, other than the obvious?

drlodge
drlodge Posts: 4,826
edited April 2014 in Tour & expedition
I'm planning to spend 2-3 days in the Yorkshire Dales over Easter, am staying at Raydaleside which is pretty convenient for the main hills I want to try - Buttertubs, Fleet Moss, Tan Hill. Are there any less obvious places to go, hills to climb other than these? Ttrying to put together a couple of rides around the 70 mile mark.

Another option one day is to take the car up north towards Great Dun Fell.
WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
Find me on Strava

Comments

• sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    If doing Buttetubs from the Keld/Muker side over to Hawes then I'd recommend adding on the loop from Gayle-Hubberholme-West Burton-Wensleydale if it doesn't take you too far out of the way.The Climb out of Gayle is not overly long but a steady pull that really ramps up near the top.The run down Langstrothdale is quiet and scenic and better than the run down Wensleydale IMO.
    Also pick a good day for Tan Hill.It's very bleak up there if it's cloudy/wet and the wind seems to be a permanent fixture.
  • drlodge
    Thanks - isn't the climb out of Gayle going south actually Fleet Moss?

I also have Oxnop Scar and Park Rash on the list.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • sniper68
    Ah yes it is...I should have read your post properly :roll:
    I've never ridden Oxnop or Park rash(only driven) but there'd be worth a look.There's also some testing climbs if you loop around Settle-Malham.Either climb from Malham to Malham Tarn are long and steep :|
  • drlodge
    Something like this then...its possibly a bit long so will look for a short cut back from Tan Hill.

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/4249787
    Find me on Strava
  • drlodge
    Shorter version, much more like the distance I want to do

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/4249822
    Find me on Strava
  • sniper68
    Shorter version would be a good,tough route.Buttertubbs twice :shock:
    I'd personally do the bottom loop in the opposite direction but that's just my preference.(will be a good test either-way though)
    So I'd do the top loop first to get the toughest climbs out of the way on fresher legs then the bottom loop anti-clockwise.

If you've never been in The Tan Hill Inn is a must(even for a tea/coffee) 8)
  • drlodge
    Looking at the height profile, it looks like the bottom half is harder, although Buttertubs itself is hard and sits in the middle. I could, if I'm feeling strong, do Fleet Moss a second time and hence do the bottom half anti clockwise - and twice!
    Find me on Strava
  • sniper68
    drlodge wrote:
    Looking at the height profile, it looks like the bottom half is harder, although Buttertubs itself is hard and sits in the middle. I could, if I'm feeling strong, do Fleet Moss a second time and hence do the bottom half anti clockwise - and twice!
    You sir are quite mad :mrgreen:
  • drlodge
    Mad to think it, downright insane if I actually attempt it!!
    Find me on Strava
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    The Stang, South from the A66 to Arkengarthdale. A66 is a bit iffy by bike though.
  • ForumNewbie
    ForumNewbie Posts: 1,664
    Me-109 wrote:
    The Stang, South from the A66 to Arkengarthdale. A66 is a bit iffy by bike though.
    I'd stay clear of the A66. In all the times I've driven across the A66 from Scotch Corner to Penrith, I've never seen a cyclist on it and would never consider cycling on it myself as far too dangerous.
  • bronco016
    bronco016 Posts: 39
    I can recommend Park Rash out of Kettlewell. A real beast of a climb!!

Enjoy
    http://www.mallorcacyclinghotels.co.uk
    Cycling friendly accommodation in Mallorca
  • nammynake
    nammynake Posts: 196
    It's a bit further west but Great Dun Fell is incredible. Biggest climb in England. My description won't do it justice so just google it.

I did a ride to it starting and ending in Reeth. I can share the Strava link if you're interested.
  • drlodge
    Quick ride report:
    - Day 1 out of Stoke/Rourke Cycles went to Jodrell Bank, Cat n Fiddle and The Cloud. Amazing views, 72 miles and a lovely ride
    - Day 2: from south of Askrigg, planned a circuit with the option of doing Park Rash at the end but instead did the Stang (first, after a good climb over Long Road/High Lane towards Reeth), Tan Hill, Buttertubs and Fleet Moss. Had to pause on the latter due to being knackered. 69 miles, 8,500 ft of clmibing and an average speed of just 12.3 mph!
    - Day 3: Drove to Appleby and did Great Dun Fell. This is a beast of a climb and my legs were shot. Had to stop about 3 times (plus again to walk round the locked gate). My bottom gear of 34x29 was just about OK but could have done with a 32 on the back! Oh the relief when the hill "levelled off" to a mere 12%.
    Find me on Strava