Anyone want to cycle to Russia?

Ranger Darren
Ranger Darren Posts: 10
edited August 2015 in Tour & expedition
I know this is a million to one shot but thought I would ask anyway:
I'm planning on cycling from the Forest of Dean in Gloucestershire to Kaliningrad which is the closest part of Russia at the end of May. My cycling partner that I was planning this with has unfortunately had to drop out. Therefore I'm looking for a fit young cyclist capable of cycling unsupported for 100 miles a day for 12 days. I've cycled solo from Lands end to John o Groats in 10 days before so reasonably confident that I can do the 1200 miles in this time.

I'm currently training like mad and planning the route which should be reasonably flat from Calais onwards. The route goes through North France, Belgium, Holland, Germany, Poland and a small part of Russia.

I wont bore you with any more details at this point but if anyone is interested or wants to know more then please let me know. :roll:

Thanks

Darren

Comments

• hdow
    hdow Posts: 184
    Why go to Russia? Let Russia come to you!
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Hdow wrote:
    Why go to Russia? Let Russia come to you!
    Just what I was thinking. The longer you put it off, the shorter the journey will be...
  • rodgers73
    rodgers73 Posts: 2,626
    Kaliningrad seems an odd goal - it was flattened in WWII and as far as I know it was rebuilt in Communist grimness style. How about a more picturesque destination? Riga? Warsaw?
  • Decided not to actually go into Russia but just to go up to the border and fly home from Gdansk in Poland.
    If anyone is interested then let me know.
    Darren :wink:
  • Decided not to actually go into Russia but just to go up to the border and fly home from Gdansk in Poland.
    If anyone is interested then let me know.
    Darren :wink:

How did you get on in the end? I am planning to cycle out to Poland for a friends wedding next year. What did you use for route planning etc?