WTB Velociraptor Rear...

Soggz
Soggz Posts: 221
edited March 2014 in MTB buying advice
I found out a hardly used front direction Velociraptor the other day,but i cant find a rear,anyone know where i can get one as they are a legendary combination for fast hardpack and hill climbing...

Comments

• Soggz
    £48.00? Arse to that.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    2nd link is half that, but still sh1t tyres. OK 20 or so years ago, but time moves on.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Had them on first ever mtb a gt arrowhead. They served me well .
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Used to use them all the time many years ago. Very good in the mud and fine in the dry.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,699
    My Marin used to have them on and I thought they were pretty good, although the reality is more likely that I was younger and better then. Does anybody do front and rear specific tyres any more? I know tyres, and particularly rubber compounds have improved, but it does seem like a reasonable idea to have different tyres front and back.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Many run in different directions, and plenty of people mix and match from within a range (Schwalbe even called it the "3 tire system" (sic) - the Nobby Nic/Racing Ralph/Furious Fred combo).

Agree that Velociraptors (which are basically Smoke/Dart) were ok 20 years ago, but wouldn't bother at all now, particularly not at those prices, you're not far off modern kevlar bead squidgy compound tyres that still weigh half those!
  • Nick Cod
    Nick Cod Posts: 321
    I have a pair on my old ish GT Avalanche. On the whole they're not bad but I'd agree with some of the above that things have improved
    2016 Cube Agree C:62 SLT DISC
    2013 Cayo Evo 3
    2013 Zesty 414
    2002 Avalanche 0.0
    2018 Vitus Substance v2 105 Gravel
  • Soggz
    Onza rip and rails were pretty legendary too...I still seem to ride better with narrower tyres though,and the front velociraptor i am using is still the finest for directional control.
  • Soggz
    cooldad wrote:
    2nd link is half that, but still sh1t tyres. OK 20 or so years ago, but time moves on.
    Please...show me a front directional tyre as good as a velociraptor then...
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Soggz wrote:
    cooldad wrote:
    Please...show me a front directional tyre as good as a velociraptor then...
    Soggz wrote:
    I found out a hardly used front direction Velociraptor the other day,but i cant find a rear,anyone know where i can get one as they are a legendary combination for fast hardpack and hill climbing...
    Soggz wrote:
    £48.00? ars* to that.
    So not legendary enough to spend money?
    Even £20
    http://www.raleighsales.co.uk/products/ ... 2-1-xc-mtb

Almost 800g for a 2.1. A bit of middle aged flab perhaps?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Soggz
    Lol...its having the money to spend,son.
  • Soggz
    http://www.racetimingsystems.net/Result ... ?Id=875611
    ...And as for 'middle age flab'...its not that,either...lol
    And that was on a 'cheap as you like' 11kg Halfords Carrera special.lol