Carrera Vulcan upgrades

ahshane
ahshane Posts: 37
edited March 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
I have started to upgrade my old 08/09 Carrera Vulcan with the Shimano Zee setup, i want to buy the Zee rear hub but they are 12mm axles. Will that fit though the drop-outs and what size 150mmx12mm, 142mmx12mm, or 135mmx12mm.

Comments

• warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    No. You need 135x10 (with either a 10mm or 5mm qr/bolts), nothing else.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Why use heavy duty Zee parts on an XC bike? SLX would be a better choice to be honest, as would an XC wheelset.

First upgrade should be the forks, the stock ones are pants.

See links in my sig for what can be done to Carrera Hardtails.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • ahshane
    ahshane Posts: 37
    The Rookie wrote:
    Why use heavy duty Zee parts on an XC bike? SLX would be a better choice to be honest, as would an XC wheelset.

First upgrade should be the forks, the stock ones are pants.

See links in my sig for what can be done to Carrera Hardtails.

Honestly it was just cheaper for what i wanted, i also do some light downhill on it and i feel the Zee is better than SLX, just my opinion. I have been looking at some new forks, but i don't know what travel to get will 120mm be to much for the frame.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    That frame is only suitable for downhill trail, not anything remotely real DH, so Deore or SLX will be fine, it's a failry lightweight XC/trail frame, Zee is just daft on it.

120mm will be fine and was fitted as standard to that frame (badged as the Fury).
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.