Headset selection query

Wheelspinner
Wheelspinner Posts: 6,660
edited March 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
I am building up a new bike, and have to pick a headset. Frame has a straight 44mm tube and will use a press fit type. Query is whether a zero stack or external cup lower bearing type is better? I can do that with a Cane Creek for example, or use a Chris King Inset 1 tpe.

Which is recommended for better life and strength?
Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS

Comments

• warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    Zero-stack or external cup is based on your requirements: do you have a tapered steerer or do you want your axle-to-crown raised or lowered 5-15mm.
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,660
    Really not that fussed about losing a few mm in stack as I can just ditch a headset spacer instead if needed.

Had a chat with a mechanic who reckons external cup ones in this arrangement are weaker under brakes and could fail. So, recommended to stick with the internal cups top and bottom. Sorted!
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Only if you have a plain steerer, external cups are for tapered, so if you have a tapered, internal won't fit.....did your mechanic address that?

Won't fail under brakes anyway, hundreds of thousands (well millions if not billions) of external cup bikes out there causing no issue.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    The Rookie wrote:
    Won't fail under brakes anyway, hundreds of thousands (well millions if not billions) of external cup bikes out there causing no issue.

^^This X a trillion.