Felt F90 needing new groupset... Help Needed

jack.mosse
jack.mosse Posts: 5
edited March 2014 in Workshop
Hi Guys

I've had my Felt F90 now for 5 years now and I fell its time to replace what I believe to be called a groupset. I've only changed tyres inner tubes and brakes before so I'm new to this bit. I'm sure many people will say 'buy a new bike' but this bike has served me well and its a great fit for me and a good ride. I'm after some recommendations on which one is good and will last me another 5 years without breaking the bank.

As far as I'm aware its a basic shimano set at the moment with a 8 speed cassette.... and thats about all I know.

I've been looking for a while now and 8 speed cassettes seem to be pretty old now days. Is it possible to put a 10 speed cassette on?

Any help or advice would be gratefully appreciated. Any question and I will do my best to answer them!

Thanks in advance

Comments

• pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,131
    Sram Rival, Campagnolo Chorus or Ultegra will give you the lifespan that you are looking for. That also depends on the number of miles you are doing. Centaur is very good value for money. You can always replace chainrings, jockey wheels cassettes and chains. For longevity, Campag is the preferred choice...(here come the arguments).

Now, the problem you may have is the rear dropout spacing. if it can be pinched, you may be able to squeeze a 10 speed set up in. You need the dropouts to be 135mm wide to fit 10/11 speed. A half decent LBS store can help you with that. If the frame is Aluminium, it can get brittle so pinching it caries some degree of risk. Steel frames 'bend' a little easier. Forget it if it is Titanium.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!