Shimano Hollowtec

iwilldoit
iwilldoit Posts: 710
edited March 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi All

If I swapped from a Octalink crankset to a a Hollowtec crankset, I take it that the front mech will still be ok?

Because the bearing cups are outboard does it space the chainrings further out so the front mech needs altering?

Is there anything else that I would have to take into consideration?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Chainline will be about the same. Yes you will need to reset the mech as normal.

And Hollowtec is actually the crank arm technology. They are hollow.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Hollowtech (as in hollow arms) or Hollowtech2 with external bearings and through axle......
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • iwilldoit
    Hi

Hollowtech 2 external bearings, I was just thinking is the bearings are on the outside and not like my octalink internal cartridge it would space the triple rings a lot further out, but all new to mtb ing so haven't really a clue.

Is the hollowtech 2 better than octalink ?
  • jimothy78
    jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
    iwilldoit wrote:
    Hollowtech 2 external bearings, I was just thinking is the bearings are on the outside and not like my octalink internal cartridge it would space the triple rings a lot further out?

no - the Hollowtech 2 crankset is designed to take this into account, and it won't change the chainline by more than a couple of mm, so well within the scope of the derailleur, as long as you set it up properly afterwards.
    Is the hollowtech 2 better than octalink ?

Define "better".
  • iwilldoit
    I suppose last longer, or if there are any advantages what are they?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Hollowtech 2 is lighter and stiffer, the bearings probably last longer in an Octalink
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.