Specialized Allez head set bearings

Flexisurfer
Flexisurfer Posts: 249
edited May 2014 in Workshop
Been struggling to find replacement headset bearings for my 2013 Allez. I ordered Cane Creek MH-P03K, 41 x 6.5 x 36* x 45* but it looks like I need 41 x 8 x 36* x 45*, do you think I can find any? Called the shop, they told me to go on the Cane Creek headset builder, but this doesn't give all the dimensions as it would seem I need an 8mm tall bearing rather than the 6.5mm that seems to be standard. I called a Spesh concept store and they basically told me the same and that I should order from CRC?

I don't really know where else to go, has anyone else kept the part number when you've changed the bearing on this bike?

Comments

• khisanth
    khisanth Posts: 41
    Did you find out the correct headset in the end?

I also have a 2013 Allez that needs a replacement headset and seems very hard to pin down exactly whats needed! My LBS keep ordering them and running out when I go in !
  • Flexisurfer
    Flexisurfer Posts: 249
    I did and after quite a bit of time looking on the net I got one from my local bike shop. It's a 41mm 45 x 35 degree with an 8mm height. The Cane Creek website is ok to a point but it didn't give me a part number to order. I would recommend getting down to your local shop and give them the dimensions rather than looking on the net.
  • khisanth
    I called my local spesh concept store and they said it was a Mindset headset which i ordered from them. This is an s-works carbon headset which looked nothing like the headset currently in mine! I have two rings (that look like sealed cartridges) top and bottom with an alignment ring. There is nothing inside the tube.

I checked with them and they said that yes it was the correct one. They said they could fit it for me, so am tempted to let them do it and see what they do! Then checked with their sister LBS and they said it was the cane creek ones which look the same as the existing ones.
  • You can find the type and size you need here for Spesh bikes

http://service.specialized.com/collater ... 3_RevB.pdf

then its just a matter of finding someone with stock these guys seem to hold a wide range (I just got bearings from them for my Secteur, quick delivery and the bearings look nice ... Time will tell):

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/airebearings/ ... 7675.l2562
  • khisanth
    Eventually found the exact ones, after the Spesh concept store got it wrong at first. You need:

Specialized FUSE 4 IMPACT INTEGRATED 1-1/8 . the SKU is W2070041

Specialized can order these for you or the only place I saw online was buyabike.com which I ordered from. They fit perfectly.
  • wishitwasallflat
    wishitwasallflat Posts: 2,927
    khisanth wrote:
    Eventually found the exact ones, after the Spesh concept store got it wrong at first. You need:

Specialized FUSE 4 IMPACT INTEGRATED 1-1/8 . the SKU is W2070041

Specialized can order these for you or the only place I saw online was buyabike.com which I ordered from. They fit perfectly.

How/where did you find this info please?
  • khisanth
    After asking at the Specialized Concept store in Kingston they told me i needed the mindset headset which was wrong. I sent them a photo of the existing bearings (which dont have any id numbers or markings of course!) and they eventually told me the correct type after checking.

I found the sku on buyabike.com ordered, installed them yesterday and they were the correct match.
  • wishitwasallflat
    wishitwasallflat Posts: 2,927
    khisanth wrote:
    After asking at the Specialized Concept store in Kingston they told me i needed the mindset headset which was wrong. I sent them a photo of the existing bearings (which dont have any id numbers or markings of course!) and they eventually told me the correct type after checking.

I found the sku on buyabike.com ordered, installed them yesterday and they were the correct match.

Thanks - info on these are hard to track down! AFAIK none of the 2013 bikes use the Mindset I thought they had moved over to cartridge for all.