Storck Aernario vs Wilier Cento SR/Air vs Tarmac S-Works SL4

Tegoni75
Tegoni75 Posts: 9
edited March 2014 in Road buying advice
Hi everyone,
First time posting but have been browsing the forums for some time.
Looking to get my first real road bike and based on budget, a lot of reading and test rides, I came down to three bikes.
I want to invest in a bike that has most if not all I want from the beginning because based on previous experiences upgrading costs more in the long term.

All three of these bikes are quite amazing in their own right and that's why I need help :)

2014 Storck Aernario /Ultegra 6800/ with Mavic Cosmic carbons SL wheels
2014 Wilier Cento SR or Air /Campy Record/ with Fulcrum racing Quattro wheels (demo bikes)
2013 or 2012 S-Works Tarmac SL4 /Ultegra 6800/ with Roval Rapid CLX 60 (going for the older frame based on color choices and price)

I chose Ultegra for the Aernario and the Tarmac based on overall budget,
The Wilier is a demo bike so the price I offered will be close to the other two.

As far as rides go I have tried the Cento Air and liked the design and speed but I could feel every bump in the road. Wasn't too forgiving over rough pavement.

The aernario I can't try, but I've tried a Scenero G2. I really like the handling of the Scenero, felt very confident in turns and handling, but I want a bike that takes off when I push down on it and I didn't get that with this.

The S-Works I can't try as there are none in my size, plus the LBS that carries them won't let people test any of the S-Work models. Have to pay, build, and ride.

Based on specs and price, The Cento SR/Air (one of each are coming in to choose from) is enticing, but I want to look past that and go for the bike that will have the better ride, looks and overall excitement.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    My view.
    Tarmac = boring
    The non S-Works ride the same
    Cento = fragile
    Meh.
    Aernario = not aero
    Storck geometry is quite unique and doesn't work for everyone

Seeing as I have no emotional attachment to any of these frames I would audible to a Scott Addict.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    Go and test the other two, only then will you be in a position to choose. I doubt anyone on here has been on all three bikes anyway.

You can try an Aernario at any Storck Uk dealer.

It's all in the ride ....
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Don't splash out that sort of money unless you are convinced the fit is absolutely right for you, often you don't get that right with first bike so you have got to get this bit as right as you can. Bike fit, and a proper one is what I'd invest in if I was in your position (unless you've ridden enough to base an exact fit on?)

I think the Storck is aggressively low at the front from memory, dunno for sure without checking geom.

If Air was harsh, out of the three probably the Spesh has a better chance out of the 3? Personally I'd not go for either of the two with Ultegra on and the Quattros would rule out the other one!

What is the budget?
  • Storck for me, the only one of the above that's "special", obviously very subjective.
  • on-yer-bike
    on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
    They are going to feel different with different wheels and tyre pressures. A bike that is lively is probably not going to be as comfy on 'rough pavement'. Id buy the one I like the look of best, unless it didn't fit me. And it would have to be Campag.
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • Tegoni75
    Thanks for the replies so far.

My budget is about £5k.

The first thing I did before looking at bikes was to go for a proper bike fit.

I wasn't bothered by Storck's geometry. Before I rode the Scenero I had a bike fit done. I'm 1.86 with longer legs and long arms and the 57 felt good.

I'm living in Singapore currently and to find a bike size that fits me due to the market here is quite a struggle so testing is limited.
    Wilier has a concept store here so they have some large size frames but limited models. The Storck concept store brought in a 57 Scenero from Australia for me to try, but the Aernario will have to be a purchase then order.

Saw the Scott Addict but no size unless I want to wait for a couple more months.
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,471
    I'd wait until you've had a chance to try the standard (non-Air) Cento SR. Probably a more rounded ride feel than the Air, gets very good reviews and certainly has the bling/excitement factor.
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    I have an early (2009 or 2010) Cento Uno which replaced a Roubaix Pro. It remains astonishingly responsive with fantastic balance when climbing and descending. I think mine is fab and I'll probably keep it despite new bike on the way. The only downside is similar to your comment - going over a cattle grid on the Cento is a whole new experience - the frame is very rigid. Generally I don't notice this but certain surfaces can make it very lively. One thing I noted in another thread recently is the difference the wheels make - mine came with Fulcrum Racing Zeros. Again I rate them very highly however, when I fitted a mix of dura ace c35 front and zipp 303 firecrest rear, there was a major reduction in vibration through the saddle and bars. If this is a concern for you, I wonder if it would be possible for you to arrange for a different wheel set? The Tarmac is a very competent frame, lightweight etc etc however, I think if I were to look at that, I'd be more than tempted to go down the Canyon route where much better value for money is available for similar kudos. Can't comment on Storck which I've no experience of.

Peter
  • domgears
    domgears Posts: 135
    Tegoni75 wrote:
    Thanks for the replies so far.

My budget is about £5k.

The first thing I did before looking at bikes was to go for a proper bike fit.

I wasn't bothered by Storck's geometry. Before I rode the Scenero I had a bike fit done. I'm 1.86 with longer legs and long arms and the 57 felt good.

I'm living in Singapore currently and to find a bike size that fits me due to the market here is quite a struggle so testing is limited.
    Wilier has a concept store here so they have some large size frames but limited models. The Storck concept store brought in a 57 Scenero from Australia for me to try, but the Aernario will have to be a purchase then order.

Saw the Scott Addict but no size unless I want to wait for a couple more months.

I vote Storck

I am also in Singapore, have you been over to Fat Cats in Ubi Ave, the Vertex I think, they stock most Storck stuff, even the fascenario 0.6.

When it comes to buying, try this site, once you factor in the price before VAT (prices on the site are inclusive) it pretty much is in your budget and has DA 9070, if you contact them you can change the wheels, they do Xentis which should be better than the Mavics but same or similar price.

They have other options for the Aernario from basic up to top.

http://s-tec-essence.eshop.t-online.de/ ... 14Di2-0004
  • domgears
    P.S.

They have moved.

FatCatCycles Pte Ltd
    48 Lorong 1 Realty Park
    Singapore 536962

Telephone: +65 6684 8846
  • Tegoni75
    Thanks again for the replies.

neeb: I'm waiting to see if I can try an SR as I read it's a better ride than the air. Hopefully this week.

Peter: Love the Cento uno, unfortunately its hard to find these frames now. Definitely an option to look at the wheels. I tried the Cento Air with Mavic Cosmic Cabon Sl wheels and it wasn't too bad but still quite lively over rough roads. Also the one I tried still had the aluminum stem and bars so that will factor in to the comfort a bit as well.

domgears: Yes I have been to FatcatCycles, great group of people there. For Storck they mainly have frames only. I need a 57 so those aren't usually stocked here. The new Storck Concept store just had the Scenero which I tried.

Does that site ship to Singapore? The prices are quite good! What they are quoting for the Dura Ace/Di2 Is near what they are offering here with the Ultegra setup.

I've seen the Xentis but the online reviews weren't that great. Have you tried them?
  • Tarmac SL4 all the way. I absolutely love mine to bits and it's a very comfy ride, even over rough roads and 100 miles. Does everything it should do and does it well. Looks better in a 56 and below though, bit gate like in the bigger sizes.
  • domgears
    Tegoni75 wrote:
    Thanks again for the replies.

neeb: I'm waiting to see if I can try an SR as I read it's a better ride than the air. Hopefully this week.

Peter: Love the Cento uno, unfortunately its hard to find these frames now. Definitely an option to look at the wheels. I tried the Cento Air with Mavic Cosmic Cabon Sl wheels and it wasn't too bad but still quite lively over rough roads. Also the one I tried still had the aluminum stem and bars so that will factor in to the comfort a bit as well.

domgears: Yes I have been to FatcatCycles, great group of people there. For Storck they mainly have frames only. I need a 57 so those aren't usually stocked here. The new Storck Concept store just had the Scenero which I tried.

Does that site ship to Singapore? The prices are quite good! What they are quoting for the Dura Ace/Di2 Is near what they are offering here with the Ultegra setup.

I've seen the Xentis but the online reviews weren't that great. Have you tried them?

Yes, they ship to Singapore but you have to email them or give them a call.

They quoted me Euro 8995 for the Aernario Platinum with Lightweight Meilenstein clinchers including delivery, so you can chop and change bits an pieces to suit.

When I searched for reviews on the Xentis there wasn't much to find but what I found was positive, I don't use them myself but if I am going to invest in carbon clinchers I want lighter, hence the lightweights, I was also considering getting some AX lightness.

Give them a call or drop them an email with your requirements and details, you will be pleasantly surprised with what they can do for you.

At the end of the day go for the bike that appeals to you most, performance difference will be little to none at that price range, most of any difference will be down to components such as wheels, tyres, tubes, bars, stem and seat post, all of which you can chop and change till you have your perfect ride.

I like the exclusivity of Storck in Singapore, there are some but no where near as many as there are Willier, and especially Specialized.
  • Tegoni75
    Thanks. I'll give them a call and see what they can offer. In Singapore Storck is quite rare and riding something that isn't so common is attractive.
    Was that the bike you decided on?
  • domgears
    Tegoni75 wrote:
    Thanks. I'll give them a call and see what they can offer. In Singapore Storck is quite rare and riding something that isn't so common is attractive.
    Was that the bike you decided on?

Yes, however it will only be when funds are permitting lol, Currently on a Cervelo R3 SL
  • domgears
    Where in Sg are you based, I am over in the West (Gombak) but cycle to work in Raffles Place
  • Tegoni75
    I'm located in the central area, near Orchard.
    That will be an amazing bike once you get it.
  • Grifteruk
    Grifteruk Posts: 244
    FWIW I have ridden both a Cento SR and Cento Air so am reasonably placed to draw comparisons.

I agree that the "stock" Cento Air (by which I mean the full bike from Wilier without modification) is a firm ride. I put the main reasons for this down to the aluminium bar and stem, whilst I am used to riding carbon in those areas. Having said that it was incredibly quick to accelerate and whilst firm I did not find it to be too much over a couple of 60 mile rides. If I did not have another option I would have happily purchased one of these and I think it would be improved by good carbon finishes and some more comfortable bar tape than that on the stock product.

Both the new SR and my old Wilier cento are a different beast IMO. Whether it is just me or not I do not know, but I can tell the difference in terms of its climbing ability and general feel as opposed to the Air especially in terms of comfort. I have ridden various other frames over the years and find it difficult to believe that there are many bikes (if any) more comfortable, but maybe I am biased !! If you were to get one I seriously doubt that you would be disappointed.
  • Tegoni75
    Thanks Grifteruk.

Hopefully I can try the SR soon to decide.
    The quick acceleration was one thing I really liked about the air. If the SR has that with a bit more comfort that could be the one :)

Btw you have one beautiful Cento!
  • Grifteruk
    Grifteruk Posts: 244
    Cheers the white wilier has served me very well so much so I am gonna keep it and build it up over time rather than sell it on !

My new baby is in the your bikes section of the forum - very happy