Gears not right.

rubez
rubez Posts: 323
edited March 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
My gears seem to be not right. For certain gears (about middle of the cassette) one press of the shifter does not shift the gear... maybe an extra half press, or some pressure on the lever can nudge it to the next gear (without an actual additional click on the shifter lever).

Sometimes, certain gears it will make that clicking noise, so you know it is wanting to change, nearly but not quite - and so it is in danger of slipping out of gear unexpectantly, possibly causing some nuts off the frame.

Also, on the crank, when on the top cog, the chain rubs agains the guard thing that channels it into different cogs.

There seems to be some misalignment with the pressure of the gear cable.

What do I need to do exactly, and why has it become like this?

Thanks.

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Sort the indexing - read Parktool's website.
  • rubez
    From (an ancient) memory, I put it in first or last gear, loosen the cable, pull as hard on it as possible with a pair of pliers then retighten it up?

Is this what Parktools is gonna tell me?

Or is it more complicated these days?
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    I take the chain off, then you can move the top jockey wheel to touch the cassette sprocket and see if the alignment is spot on. Do this for a range of sprockets (both ends and in the middle) to get a feel for how well aligned the RD is.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    It's always been more complicated than that since friction shifters gave way to indexed, so why not read what Parktools tells you to do?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • drlodge
    The Rookie wrote:
    It's always been more complicated than that since friction shifters gave way to indexed, so why not read what Parktools tells you to do?

As the man says...this picture on the park tools site show how you get a clear picture of the alignment with the chain removed (not that park tools say to remove the chain). The top jockey wheel should be right underneath the relevant sprocket

der_llimit.gif
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • Chunkers1980
    But that's not indexing.

His problems (of which he has many) are not entirely stop related - only in the extremes.
  • pesky_jones
    pesky_jones Posts: 2,890
    Do you even need gears? I mean, what do they actually do?

Seriously though - watch this video - it explains everything you need to do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UH43OCmArUw

Then watch the video for indexing your front derailleur ( the thing you say "channels" the chain on the front cogs)
  • drlodge
    But that's not indexing.

His problems (of which he has many) are not entirely stop related - only in the extremes.

Er it is...you cannot get both the smallest and biggest gears right unless the alignment is right in all other gears. The issue has nothing to do with the stops, its about getting the jockey wheel in the right place (directly underneath the relevant sprocket).

The above diagram is a little misleading, I confess to have not actually read the park tools blurb, I would argue the indexing can/should be done with the limit screws set some way out. Once all adjustment is done, then turn the limit screws in so they stop the RD moving outside the range of the cassette. In short:
    - attach cable to RD in roughly the right place
    - adjust the barrel adjuster to tweak to the RD position to be perfectly aligned for the appropriate gearing and check alignment in the other gears.
    - screw in the limit adjusters to prevent movement of the RD outside of the desired limits
    -You're done.

So to the OP - you probably need to twak the barrel adjuster once you've worked out what's wrong with the RD alignment. Or you have a sticking cable.
    Find me on Strava
  • Chunkers1980
    drlodge wrote:
    But that's not indexing.

I would argue the indexing can/should be done with the limit screws set some way out.

You seem to have strayed here from the road forum.

Anyway as above, you've confirmed what I said, even though saying it wasn't. :?

And no, you want the stops set as best you can by sight before indexing.
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    Go and buy this, buy it now.

http://www.parktool.com/product/big-blu ... tion-BBB-3
    the chain rubs agains the guard thing that channels it into different cogs

WTF?
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • drlodge
    Go and buy this, buy it now.

http://www.parktool.com/product/big-blu ... tion-BBB-3
    the chain rubs agains the guard thing that channels it into different cogs

WTF?

Think he's referring to the front derailleur cage.
    Find me on Strava
  • 97th choice
    Yes, I know.

Search some of his other posts for context. Personally I think he's a troll, some just think he's an idiot.

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • rubez
    Do you even need gears? I mean, what do they actually do?

Seriously though - watch this video - it explains everything you need to do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UH43OCmArUw

Then watch the video for indexing your front derailleur ( the thing you say "channels" the chain on the front cogs)

Thanks, a video will be much easier to understand than text, since I am not a bike enthusiast, and therefore do not understand all the terms, such as RD etc.

Derailleur. My word for today...

I can now ditch 'chain-channeller' :mrgreen:
  • pesky_jones
    Your word of the day should be "parktools"! By no means am I discouraging you from parktools

You should identify every componenet involved so that you learn the terms, as well as vital info like which is the HI limit screw, and which is the LOW limit screw - and how to use them.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Has anybody mentioned Parktools?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • pesky_jones
    cooldad wrote:
    Has anybody mentioned Parktools?

Don't think so, because if someone had, no one would be dumb enough to ignore them.
  • cooldad
    In that case I recommend a dose of Parktools.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Parktools? Parktools you say, right must remember that.....yes Parktools.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad
    If only there was a convenient link to Parktools.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Chunkers1980
    I'm still trying to work out where the nuts are to come off your frame? There's only one nut I can think of.
  • pesky_jones
    I think he means if the gear slips, then you slip off the pedals, resulting in landing on your nuts on the top tube.

Kind of worrying how I appear to be quite good at translating for this guy
  • 97th choice
    You're his brother from another mother, for sure.

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • raldat
    raldat Posts: 242
    cooldad wrote:
    If only there was a convenient link to Parktools.

I see what you did there...