Snapped Rear hanger

kev_gray
kev_gray Posts: 44
edited March 2014 in The workshop
So cycling home last night I had a disaster! The rear mech hanger on my Tricross snapped and managed to destroy the rear derailier and mud guard as the chain pulled it round before locking up the back wheel! The worst thing was the two mile walk the rest of the way home uphill in cleats! :x
A summary of the damage seems to be:
- New rear hanger needed
- New rear derailier needed
- New mudguards
- New rear tyre
- Rear wheel needs the buckle fixed!

Not a bad haul for such a small thing to snap!
The real problem comes with the rear mech hanger, I couldn't find all the pieces of it where it has snapped so I cannot tell the correct shape for a replacement one to order. Can anyone advise on this?

Also, the rear mech was a Shimano Deore LX long cage but I cannot seem to find it anywhere online (would like to replace with the same or similar for ease). Would this be a suitable replacement?
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shim ... -prod28033

Any advice no getting a new hanger and mech would be great. Cycling in on a mtb with knobblys on really takes it out of you!

Comments

• dgunthor
    dgunthor Posts: 644
    sorry to hear that - get in touch with the bike shop or bike/frame manufacturer - should be able to email them
  • anthdci
    anthdci Posts: 543
    The hanger is designed to snap under load with the aim to save your frame, derailleur and wheel. But I have had 4 snap on my bike and ruined those parts myself! You will need to find the cause of it snapping or you may find you snap the replacement. The fault with mine was the wheel.
  • kev_gray
    kev_gray Posts: 44
    Thanks for the info, after hunting on the specialized website I was finally able to find a hanger that seems to match the one I have some of the remains for! Parts are ordered up and should come in next few days!
    As for the cause, my plan is to put it all back together and see how it is running to try and find out if anything else can be at fault.
    What was the fault with the wheel that you spotted anthdci? Just so that I can look out for it.
  • dgunthor
    dgunthor Posts: 644
    cool.

often the rear mech will go over the sprocket nearest the spokes, jam the wheel, bend the rear mech and break the hanger.

check the limit screw is adjusted on the rear mech so the mech can't do this - it will only allow the chain onto the largest sprocket and not let it into the spokes even if you press the shifter more