Gear setup 3x9 to 2x10

Prowlus
Prowlus Posts: 539
edited April 2014 in MTB general
After deciding to splurge on a an ex £2000 xc rig which now costs £1500 i noticed that the cycle only has a 2 by 10 gear setup as opposed to a 3 by 9 or 10 . Is there a reason why xc bikes are going to this trend?
I thought xcs are meant to have high gear selection for the type of riding they do .

Comments

• FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    My take on it is that it is a progressive design improvement. With a 3*9 you don't actually get 27 distinct usable gears. Improvements in the derilleur and the rear cassette allow just as wide a range with a 2*10 but with less parts. The trend does go on with 1*11 being available - it is higher end engineering and more expensive. In my view the weight reduction is trivial although some feel that it is an important consideration.
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • Prowlus
    Prowlus Posts: 539
    I guess it makes sense , the setup will be lighter and easier to maintain than a triple chainring with less chain stretch and wear from a triple . It feels unusual having used a triple 3x9 setup for 6 years and then moving to something similar to my roadie but with not as big front cog . I admit i keep on trying to shift to high 3rd ring even though theres none!
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Pros and cons of both set ups. Of standard 3x gear set ups, the overall range is higher - not by much, but to some people this is an advantage. Also the 32 toother in a 3x set up may be your sweet spot for the front cog you stay in most often. Some people find with 2x they change more at the front ie chopping and changing between the cogs. 2x has more clearance. Many larger bikes may never need a huge cog out front so why bother? XC riders, or those with long flat straights and downs may love them.

So no right and wrong, just get what suits. I have 2x and 3x on different bikes!
  • mak3m
    mak3m Posts: 1,394
    Out of interest are all gears available in a 2x10 set up, ie. do you need to worry about the chain line like you have too on a x3 set up
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    mak3m wrote:
    Out of interest are all gears available in a 2x10 set up, ie. do you need to worry about the chain line like you have too on a x3 set up
    Yes and no.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    The trend does go on with 1*11 being available - it is higher end engineering and more expensive. In my view the weight reduction is trivial although some feel that it is an important consideration.

No it's not, XX1/XO1 are cheaper than equivalent (ie Sram XX/X.0) 2x10 set ups.

As SS said - there are pros and cons of each, but the market is certainly going well away from triples.
  • jon1993
    jon1993 Posts: 596
    In my opinion 2x10 is so much better just more user friendly and able to find the "right gear" easier plus less likely for the front derailleur not to work properly. The derailleur is effectively going from 1 side limiter to the other so the cable switches between the two as a result they seem to be a lot more reliable and less fiddling they just works in my personal experience!
    Scott Spark 30 carbon custom build
    Giant Faith 2 DH bike
    Boardman pro 2011
    Boardman team carbon 2010
    Carrera kracken 2009
    Specialized fsr pro 2009
    Haro custom build
    Cannondale custom build