cleat set ups help

gimli1001
gimli1001 Posts: 28
edited March 2014 in Road beginners
ive just purchased some new clipless pedals, after following the instructions and spending a few hours on u tube how too video's i set them up and they feel good

however ive found that the cleat moves within the pedal, at first it felt like it was loose on the bottom of my shoe but when i looked under with the shoe clipped in it is the cleat moving in the pedal

is this normal or do i need tighten the spring to hold it solid

any advice

cheers

steve
smoke me a kipper ill be back for breakfast

Comments

• ic.
    ic. Posts: 769
    It's normal and is called "float"

Your heel should be able to move a few degrees in each direction with the cleat returning to a neutral position as you pedal

It's designed to allow your foot to take its natural path during the pedal stroke. Some riders like more float than others so different cleats are available for some pedal systems, others allow for the float to be set via the cleat
    2020 Reilly Spectre - raw titanium
    2020 Merida Reacto Disc Ltd - black on black
    2015 CAAD8 105 - very green - stripped to turbo bike
    2018 Planet X Exocet 2 - grey

The departed:

2017 Cervelo R3 DI2 - sold
    Boardman CX Team - sold
    Cannondale Synapse - broken
    Cube Streamer - stolen
    Boardman Road Comp - stolen
  • I always make mine as loose as possible, so maximum float.

Yet to see any technical reason why I should change this. Anyone care to tell me why? As long as my foot cannot come out it seems advantageous to be able to flex the foot angle.
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    As long as my foot cannot come out it seems advantageous to be able to flex the foot angle.

must be a bugger at bed time