Budget Tyres under £20?

desmorrow
desmorrow Posts: 115
edited March 2014 in MTB buying advice
Hi
I'm running a Rubber Queen on the front and Mountain King on the rear but the Kings in particular are pretty rubbish. I do mostly trail stuff with the odd bit of mud and some roots.
Any recommendations for something low-cost?

Am thinking:
On-One Smorgasbord 26"x2.25", folded, dual 60/42A trail extremes for £20 each?

Sound reasonable? - would they suit front and back? Or what other budgets are recommended?

Thanks
D

Comments

• poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    are they black chilli rubber, what pressure you running them at, what is wrong with them
  • desmorrow
    desmorrow Posts: 115
    I run pretty low - about 30. No - just budget rubber queen at front. I had a blow out on a mountain king - literally side wall blew open lol. Seem to wear very quickly and not much grip.
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    is it a cheap mountain king or a mk1 MK. conti side walls do seem to be fragile
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    On One tyres are as good as your going to get at your budget.
  • desmorrow wrote:

Am thinking:
    On-One Smorgasbord 26"x2.25", folded, dual 60/42A trail extremes for £20 each?

Sound reasonable? - would they suit front and back? Or what other budgets are recommended?

Thanks
    D

I run one on the rear and cant complain, better than the nobby nic that was on it.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Anything is better than a nobby nic. Even the soft compound ones suck hairy dog vegetables
  • jimothy78
    jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
    Have a look at the Panaracer Fire XC pro - good for the money at about £12 (wire bead version). General all-rounder, but better on the drier side of things, as it tends to clog quickly in mud.

Also keep an eye open for deals on the Intense (ITS) tyres. System 5 is a great allrounder, with good grippy compound and tread but not too draggy on hard surfaces either. AM 909 is more blocky and great for soft conditions. Got both from CRC for about £15 last year (folding bead and tubeless-ready), though they appear to have sold out now.
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    On One tyres are as good as your going to get at your budget.

Even better when they were £15.
  • Cookeh
    Cookeh Posts: 351
    Heard a lot of good things about the Smorgasboard tbh. Panaracer Rampage - as linked by CD - is also worth a shot.
  • kevinharley
    kevinharley Posts: 554
    I've used the Panaracer Rampage (2.1 size) before ... good tyre, and at that price, a bargain!

Have also used Nobby Nics (in a decent compound) which I found to be excellent in all conditions apart from mud (where they're pretty hopeless in my view). I found them quite pressure sensitive (probably the same for most tyres) and ran them quite soft, which, being quite light (me) was OK to do. Got them from Bike Discount De at around £22 each. Would certainly recommend ...

Was also looking at the One On Smorgasbord (as well as the Chunky Monkey) until I bought a 650b bike; they seem to come well recommended, and are made by / designed by Maxxis (or someone who works / worked for them) I understand. I was going to go Chunky Monkey 2.4 front, and either the same at the rear, or Smorgasbord 2.25.

Currently got Maxxis Ardents on the new bike, which I'm still getting used to, but have been pretty pleased with so far ...

Depends a lot on what kind of riding you want to do on them too ...