Collecting Cash

meanredspider
meanredspider Posts: 12,337
edited March 2014 in Commuting chat
So plenty of you have told me I'm barking to be doing Alpe D'HuZes this year (6x up Alpe D'Huez in a day). I don't think I am but it is going to be very very tough - not only on the day but also the weight loss and training I'm doing in preparation (no beer, no chocolate, no sex (I made that last one up for added sympathy :wink: )). It's OK - I'm not asking for money (yet :wink: )

I want to raise money (there's no effing way I'd be doing this if I weren't - nobody does all this for their "hobby")
The problem is that the only official fundraising site is Dutch. Apart from the obvious language issues, you can only donate through a Dutch bank account. Not many Brits have Dutch bank accounts. So my question is this:

Is there a good and simple method of collecting donations that people trust that can then be transferred to the official charity? (Bearing in mind the Dutch bit)
ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH

Comments

• is their charity listed on the just giving website, that way you can link straight to the charity. My problem is I have set up my just giving page for my sponsored ride, but finding it hard to work towards my target.
    Sorry its not me it's the bike ;o)

Strava Dude link http://www.strava.com/athletes/amander
    Commuting, Domestic & Pleasure : Specialized Sectuer Sport Disc

Please Sponsor http://www.justgiving.com/alister-manderfield1
  • meanredspider
    is their charity listed on the just giving website, that way you can link straight to the charity. My problem is I have set up my just giving page for my sponsored ride, but finding it hard to work towards my target.

No - I don't think it is (but I will double-check). I'm just wondering if there's a version of JG or similar that can collect cash and pay it to a nominated place.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    I don't know if it will do what you want, but Virgin do something similar to Just Giving. Virgin Giving perhaps.
  • meanredspider
    Veronese68 wrote:
    I don't know if it will do what you want, but Virgin do something similar to Just Giving. Virgin Giving perhaps.

I'll check that too. Part of the trouble is the Alpe D'HuZes claim that every penny donated goes to cancer care and research (hence there was a scandal when the founder had used some cash for admin costs - like just about every other charity) so I doubt they are set up with any of these fund collecting sites. It was a lot easier in the days you had a sheet of paper...
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    I was requested to set up a virgin just giving account for my company ride london bond place. Seems to do what it's supposed to...