Which tyres do you recommend?

staggera99y
staggera99y Posts: 51
edited March 2014 in MTB buying advice
Hi all,

I use Schwalbe Hans Dampf for my forest trails which are superb, however with the wife and nipper we ride a lot of towpaths ( gravel/shingle/hard pack ) and the odd street to get to towpaths.
Which tyres in 26" would you recommend?
Schwalbe brand preferred but would consider others.

Look forward to your replies

Darrell

Comments

• brucie45
    brucie45 Posts: 279
    Something like a Rocket Ron maybe, a bit thinner and less drag. Ideal for that sort of riding
    Commencal Ramones Cromo 13 - viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12926938
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    Stick a Rock Razor on the rear, that'll speed things up a bit!!
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,674
    Smart Sams. Great tyre with almost continous tread on the centre band but plenty of knobblies on the edges for grip. My mate and I have been using them for XC and hairy downhills on Salisbury Plain. Cope well with grass, loam, clay, mud and fly on the tarmac. Can't fault them. Cheap as chips too.

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• kammybear
    kammybear Posts: 500
    Don't bother with snakeskins or evo if it's for that sort of riding...maybe some performance rapid robs?
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    PhotoNic69 wrote:
    Smart Sams. Great tyre with almost continous tread on the centre band but plenty of knobblies on the edges for grip. My mate and I have been using them for XC and hairy downhills on Salisbury Plain. Cope well with grass, loam, clay, mud and fly on the tarmac. Can't fault them. Cheap as chips too.

Hairy downhill on Salisbury Plain? I have been riding around there for years and there is nothing remotely hairy (except the women of Warminster)

Cheap and nast nobby nics should do the job.
  • Antm81
    Antm81 Posts: 1,406
    PhotoNic69 wrote:

Hairy downhill on Salisbury Plain? I have been riding around there for years and there is nothing remotely hairy (except the women of Warminster)

+1 I've lived on the plain a few times, mostly just big open tracks from my experience although I'm yet to try tidworth bike park
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,674
    PhotoNic69 wrote:

Cheap and nast nobby nics should do the job.

Well the bit I mean is from the water tower down to the west end of Pear Tree Lane. Very steep. Very rutted. Very loose top soil and gravel at the bottom. A few weeks ago one of the ruts was about 3ft deep with clay at the bottom where an off roader had been stuck. Also some v steep bits in the woods to the west of this. Plenty of steep grassy slopes in the Imber range. If cheapo Smart Sams can cope with that and Tarmac then the op can't go far wrong.

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• Cqc
    Cqc Posts: 951
    Antm81 wrote:
    PhotoNic69 wrote:

+1 I've lived on the plain a few times, mostly just big open tracks from my experience although I'm yet to try tidworth bike park
    Well, tidworth bike park is certainly challenging- maybe a bit too much so in the wet- drainage isn't its forte
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Tidworth isn't bad. Horrible in the wet though.
  • Cqc
    Cqc Posts: 951
    Exactly