Future costs - Track bike?

top_bhoy
top_bhoy Posts: 1,424
edited June 2014 in Track
I did a track taster session at the weekend and it was an awesome experience. During the session, being on a fixed gear and toe strap for the first time in my life, I made a mistake here and there but I wasn't fazed by it or felt out of my depth...it definitely got the adrenalin pumping.

I plan on going along to the novices sessions and for this, I'll be able to hire a bike. Longer term, if I decide I'd like to continue with it, I'm curious to know a ballpark figure on what I would be looking to pay for a reasonable track bike (and wheels) suitable for a beginner/intermediate rider? I realise I could spend a small fortune on wheels alone. I've got Look Keos, shoes, clothes, helmet, etc so most of the rest of the equipment is taken care of. The downside is I need another bike like a hole in the head. :P I hope to reduce the number shortly but currently I've now got 2 road bikes, 1 MTB and a commuter.

Roll on the next session!!

Comments

• lancew
    lancew Posts: 680
    I don't know what they charge in Aus, but in the UK I was of the opinion that Dolan track bikes aren't bad and start at £450.

http://www.dolan-bikes.com/dolan-track- ... -bike.html

I've been considering building one myself because they're an amazing looking frame and they do a SS version for riding around town.
    Specialized Allez Sport 2013
  • top_bhoy
    Lancew wrote:
    I don't know what they charge in Aus, but in the UK I was of the opinion that Dolan track bikes aren't bad and start at £450.

http://www.dolan-bikes.com/dolan-track- ... -bike.html

I've been considering building one myself because they're an amazing looking frame and they do a SS version for riding around town.
    That sort of basic price would suit me fine. Components are generally a lot more expensive here but if you're not in too much of a hurry, reasonably priced road and commuting bikes do appear. However, I won't be in any hurry to buy a track bike until I've tried it a reasonable amount of time; especially since the cost of bike hire isn't too bad.

Thanks.
  • incog24
    incog24 Posts: 549
    Second hand market is pretty good value. Dolan Pre-cursas come up for under £300 regularly. I got an omnium with nice handbuilt tubular wheels for £450. Just keep an eye out. Most track bikes don't have that hard a life compared to road bikes!
    Racing for Fluid Fin Race Team in 2012 - www.fluidfin.co.uk
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,588
    There will usually be second hand bikes advertised for sale at velodromes. I got a Giant Omnium for £200 with some really good quality tubs. Once you've bought the bike they tend to be much cheaper to run than other bikes as they are subject to less wear and tear and have less parts to go wrong. Two road bikes, an MTB and a commuter sounds like the absolute bare minimum anyone should have in their shed to me :wink:
  • top_bhoy
    Pross wrote:
    There will usually be second hand bikes advertised for sale at velodromes. I got a Giant Omnium for £200 with some really good quality tubs. Once you've bought the bike they tend to be much cheaper to run than other bikes as they are subject to less wear and tear and have less parts to go wrong. Two road bikes, an MTB and a commuter sounds like the absolute bare minimum anyone should have in their shed to me :wink:
    I have saw very few track bikes at the local velodrome (ergo one) or even locally for sale but I'm back in Glasgow in the 2nd half of July and most of August so I can have a look there. The one thing I will miss for several weeks when I'm back is the weekly track session; its intensity is exhilarating.