Recommend me a handlebar/ stem combo

loukir
loukir Posts: 65
edited March 2014 in Road buying advice
Hi,
I'm having a scott Foil built for me, and have decided on everything except the bars/ stem, I have a budget of upto about £200. I will be using the bike for sportives and long distance triathlons, so would like to be comfortable for long rides, and possibly allow me to be as aero as possible.
I particular enjoy the flat top on some bars. Any thoughts welcomed.

Comments

• thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,807
    Ritchey Evo Curve bars and a C260 stem. Matches the Foil's seatpost, the stem is alloy but lighter (and stronger) than the majority of carbon stems and the bars have semi flat, swept back tops.
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    Deda Zero 100 Servizio Course stem matched to Deda Newton bars - available as anatomical, compact and curved styles so may be one that suits. Alloy but super-light. Have just fitted mine up with the anatomical bars and they are quite square cut so maybe not for everybody. I find them to be not a bad size for me though some might prefer more of an angle to the drops. I've quite large hands that fill the space but the angle is good for my wrists. Bar is scalloped front and back for cables, so I've gone for brakes to the front and gears to the rear which gives a nice cable flow around to the frame. Centre section is broad before it tapers so should take accessories/clip-ons ok.
  • loukir
    loukir Posts: 65
    Thanks for above I have come up with a couple of other combos;

FSA OS- 99 CSI stem, with FSA K-Force carbon bars

Trigon RB117 carbon Integrated Bar/Stem

Any thoughts?
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Ritchey Evo Curve bars and a C260 stem. Matches the Foil's seatpost, the stem is alloy but lighter (and stronger) than the majority of carbon stems and the bars have semi flat, swept back tops.

This. I use the Curve instead of the Evo Curve as they're a bit shallower.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • jomoj
    jomoj Posts: 777
    Another vote for deda here. The entry level stuff is better than many brands premium kit
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    I shy away from carbon when it comes to cockpit usage...
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Zipp Contour SL Short-Shallow, it's also not extremely short like the 3T Ergonovas etc, flat top. Match it with a Service Course SL Stem (alloy, no point in carbon stems).

You'd have to shop around to get under £200, but I think it's possible.

Here's easy links from CRC, but won't be the cheapest...

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/zipp-contour-sl-short-shallow-road-bar/rp-prod65786
    (note, measurements are not centre to centre, so if you wanted 42, order 44.)

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/zipp-service-course-sl-stem/rp-prod65815
    (note, can be black on black or have the white logo)
  • Go for this stem and get a set of £20 bars

1391610793-49993900.jpg
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • IrishMac
    IrishMac Posts: 328
    Look at the ITM stuff on Ribble, I've got the Alcor 80 stem and handlebar on my bike, (and the seatpost,) does the trick, nice flat top to the bars, and cheap as chips, rounded off with Lizardskin tape for a nice finish.

A word of warning though, using flat top handlebars might mean you can't use tri bars, there are exceptions of course, 3T Ergonova I think, it's worth looking into if you're gonna use tri bars :)
    Member of Cuchulainn C.C. @badcyclist

Raleigh SP Race
    Trek 1.2