Inner tube valves.

cornerblock
cornerblock Posts: 3,228
edited March 2014 in Workshop
Unfortunately my ride partner hit a pothole today and sustained a pinch flat, we still had a beautiful ride. However one of the spare tubes used, until it was discarded as a waste of time, was the type that have the valve that unscrews when the pump or CO2 canister is removed. Does anybody know what is the point of a valve that unscrews? Very annoying!

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    What a Woods/Dunlop valve?

Or?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • freezing77
    freezing77 Posts: 731
    Unfortunately my ride partner hit a pothole today and sustained a pinch flat, we still had a beautiful ride. However one of the spare tubes used, until it was discarded as a waste of time, was the type that have the valve that unscrews when the pump or CO2 canister is removed. Does anybody know what is the point of a valve that unscrews? Very annoying!

The valve core should not unscrew. It was probably loose in the body. They can be screwed back in and tightened with a small spanner they have flats on them for this purpose.

R-6203.jpg
  • stanthomas
    stanthomas Posts: 265
    ... Does anybody know what is the point of a valve that unscrews?
    It's removable so you can add sealant. Also allows you to replace a valve bunged up with sealant.
  • crankycrank
    crankycrank Posts: 1,830
    It's always a good idea to check valve tightness on any new/spare tubes. I see the removable types as an advantage. As mentioned you can replace it if it gets ruined by sealant or ham fisted pumping. When you have a tube ready for the rubbish can remove the valve and save as a spare.
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    Thanks everyone. I didn't realise that the valve could be tightened with a spanner :oops: , tried with my fingers a couple of times but not tight enough as it kept popping off when the pump was unscrewed. You live and learn. Oh and when I say the old tube was discarded I didn't mean at the side of the road.